What is XHTML and How Can I Use It to Create Dynamic Webpages?

• Thread starter jeff1evesque
  • Start date
In summary, there are multiple aspects to consider when discussing dynamic web pages, including server-side and client-side programming languages, databases, and frameworks. These elements work together to create web pages that are constantly updated and interactive. There are also different meanings and interpretations of what "dynamic" means in this context. It is recommended to learn Javascript and jQuery for client-side programming, and to research and choose a suitable server-side language and database for your needs.
jeff1evesque
Hello,

I posted earlier about flash videos (which I am still interested about), but after a quick review of some concepts I think I would like to get into designing http://www.wix.com/ysepulveda/Fuze---Community-Design?partner_id=WMGs4POB1ko-a&orgDocID=lmry4u1Lq3I-a&wixComputerID=emqOuHalPrn%2B7Vbc0DbOb0TBRICnqbUz6v2jPHNHxjI6fbKoKOgUjxNqjdcVB3ZE0psLvBM2y3w3jvk6T8XcJA%3D%3D&wsess=229f537d-525f-4411-aab9-6b0d6cc1f34f&gu_id=dc092b73-9aff-4734-918c-6b19f4e5e2b7&experiment_id=g_Web_page_templates" [Broken] Could someone point me to a source (perhaps a book) that I could learn from?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Technology news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what you mean by "dynamic". The first link you posted is really just an overly-bloated, bandwidth-hogging site. To me dynamic means dynamic data. Data that is called up during the page loading process, e.g. using PHP and mySQL for one.

If by dynamic you mean using flash interaction, then again, you'll need the software and plenty of time to learn it. If you want to pull data from databases, then google php and mysql, its free and not too bad.

Also not sure what you mean by "interactive features". Hyperlinks are interactive, no?

As minger pointed out there are multiple meanings to dynamic.

There are server-side dynamic pages that refresh the entire page for every request, such as PHP, ASP .NET, Ruby on Rails, Java Struts, etc.

Then there are client-side dynamic pages where only portions of the page are updated for a specific action performed on the page. This is almost always done with a mixture of Javascript and one of the frameworks above.

Learn Javascript:
http://eloquentjavascript.net/

and jQuery
http://jquery.com/

XHTML is unrelated to whether or not a page is dynamic.

Last edited:
XHTML is HTML with stricter syntax rules so that it is easier for browsers (and related programs) to parse.

Some years ago, Microsoft had a version of HTML that was specific to the IE browser, called DHTML (Dynamic HTML). It was not usable in non-Microsoft browsers and so did not survive.

Nowadays, a "dynamic web page" most likely refers to a web page for which the HTML (or XHTML) is constructed at the last instant by a program, executing on the web server, which gets information from a database. The database must be reachable by the web server. For such a "dynamic web page", the HTTP request sent by a browser results in a program running on the web server, and the output of the program is HTML (or XHTML) that is then sent back to the browser as a web page.

If you want to write "dynamic web pages" that pull information from a database, you have to choose a programming language that can run on the web server, and you need a database or something that acts like a database. Some languages, such as PHP, *can be* (but are not automatically always) installed on either a Microsoft-based web server or a Linux/UNIX based ("Apache") web server. Other languages are specific to which type of web server you are using. For example, Microsoft's languages (C# and VB.NET) can be used on a Microsoft web server with its default ASP.NET web framework. Java language can be used on an Apache web server, but only IF an extra framework (typically called a servlet container) has been added to the web server. Likewise, special installations must take place on the web server if you want to use, say, Ruby or Python to write a program that outputs "dynamic web pages".

Hope this helps.

1. What is XHTML?

XHTML (Extensible HyperText Markup Language) is a markup language used for creating dynamic webpages. It is based on HTML, but it is stricter in its syntax and is designed to be more easily parsed by web browsers and other applications.

2. How is XHTML different from HTML?

XHTML follows the same basic structure and elements as HTML, but it is stricter in its syntax and requires all tags to be properly nested and closed. It also uses lowercase tags and attribute names, and it requires all attribute values to be quoted. Additionally, XHTML allows for the use of XML namespaces, which allows for easier integration with other web technologies.

3. What are the benefits of using XHTML for dynamic webpages?

One of the main benefits of using XHTML is that it is more easily parsed by web browsers and other applications, which can lead to faster loading times and better compatibility across different devices and platforms. It also allows for easier integration with other web technologies, such as CSS and JavaScript, and can result in cleaner and more consistent code.

4. Can XHTML be used for all types of websites?

Yes, XHTML can be used for all types of websites, including static and dynamic websites. Its strict syntax and compatibility with other web technologies make it a versatile option for building a variety of webpages.

5. Is XHTML still relevant in today's web development?

Yes, XHTML is still relevant in today's web development, although it has been largely replaced by HTML5. However, many web developers still use XHTML due to its stricter syntax and better compatibility with other web technologies. It is also commonly used in conjunction with HTML5 to ensure compatibility across different devices and browsers.