Xmas present for person into geochem

• Thread starter fourier jr
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about whether or not to get a cousin who is interested in geology a lump of coal for Christmas. One person suggests getting a "gneiss" present, while another mentions that getting a sample of Parkgate coal from the UK, also known as Bright Hards, would be a good gift. They also mention that the coal contains small spherical pyrites inclusions known as Brazils. The other person says they would enjoy a sample, but they are easy to please.
fourier jr
I just remembered one of my cousins is starting university/college soon & last time I saw her she seemed to be really into geology or geochem with a big rock collection, etc. Should I get her a lump of coal for christmas or would that not go over well? :rofl: I'm kind of thinking of what everyone else would think because I don't know that it would be fair.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Get her a gneiss present! :biggrin:

Coal is not a bad gift, if you were able to get Parkgate coal {UK}. Sometimes called Bright Hards which contain small spherical pyrites inclusions known as Brazils.

I would enjoy a sample of it, but then again, I'm really easy to please.:tongue2:

What are the 5 most frequently asked questions about "Xmas present for person into geochem"?

As a geochemist, I often get asked about the best Christmas presents for someone who shares the same interest. Here are the top five questions and their answers:

1. What are some gift ideas for a geochemist?

Some great gift ideas for a geochemist include mineral and rock specimens, geological maps or posters, books on geochemistry, or even a membership to a professional geological society.

2. Are there any unique or personalized gifts for a geochemist?

Yes, there are many unique and personalized gifts that are perfect for a geochemist. These can include custom-made mineral jewelry, a personalized field notebook, or a personalized geological hammer.

3. What are some budget-friendly gifts for a person into geochemistry?

If you're on a budget, there are still plenty of great gift options for a geochemist. Some ideas include a set of geological pencils, a geology-themed mug, or a subscription to a geology magazine.

4. What are some good gifts for a beginner in geochemistry?

For someone who is just starting their journey in geochemistry, some great gift ideas include an introductory book on geochemistry, a beginner's rock and mineral collection, or a geology field kit.

5. Are there any online resources for purchasing geochemistry gifts?

Yes, there are several online resources for purchasing geochemistry gifts. Some popular websites include Etsy for handmade and personalized gifts, Amazon for a wide selection of books and tools, and specialized geology gift shops such as Rockology or GeoJewelry.