1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

XOR and the null set

1. Sep 26, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    What does it mean if A ⊕ B = ∅? Explain

2. Relevant equations
    From what I know the null set is part of every subset and A XOR B would be true if and only if exactly one of A or B would be true.

3. The attempt at a solution
    If someone could please help me in formulating an explantation on A XOR B = null set
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I would have thought of XOR as a logical operator than a set operator but there is no reason why it can't be: I interpret A XOR B as meaning "those elements that are in A or in B but not in both: [itex]A\cup B- A\cap B[/itex]. More often (to me at least) called the "symmetric difference" of A and B. If A XOR B is empty, then there must NOT be in points that are in A or in B but not in their intersection. What does that imply about [itex]A\cap B[/itex] and so A and B themselves?
  4. Sep 26, 2007 #3
    This is part b of a question. I did not list down the entire question because I thought it is not important (and it may still not be), but here it is:

The symmetric difference of two sets A and B is defined as A XOR B = (A - B) U (B -A).

b. What does it mean if A XOR B = null set?

Can I say it it this way:

Let A = {1,2,3,4,5} and B = {1,2,3,4,5} then A XOR B = null set? This is because there are no elements that are exclusive to either set.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?