Get Rid of Annoying XP Printing Pop-Up

• Thread starter FredGarvin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Printing
In summary, the conversation is about a very annoying pop up that appears when printing or plotting on work PCs. The IT staff claims that it cannot be removed due to a political issue with Microsoft and Windows. However, a link is provided with potential solutions and it is agreed that the pop up is indeed annoying. The conversation also delves into the laziness or ineptitude of the IT staff and their reluctance to allow users to change settings on their machines.
FredGarvin
Science Advisor
Our work PCs have a very annoying pop up that displays every time a page is printed/plotted. It is an annoying balloon that pops up with the print manager icon in the system tray letting me know that I sent something to the printer (as if I didn't know I just hit the print button). I asked our I.T. folks about getting rid of it and they something that I just don't believe. They said that it was some sort of "political thing" with Microsoft and Windows that we can not get around. There is no way to get rid of it. I find that unbelievable.

Does anyone have any clues or ideas for getting rid of this annoying notification?

Computer science news on Phys.org
FredGarvin said:
I asked our I.T. folks about getting rid of it and they something that I just don't believe. They said that it was some sort of "political thing" with Microsoft and Windows that we can not get around. There is no way to get rid of it. I find that unbelievable.
Sorry that you have such ill-informed and/or lazy IT staff... They should be working to streamline your network's performance and reduce annoyances to users. Sounds like the IT guys in the Dilbert strips.

turbo-1 said:
Sorry that you have such ill-informed and/or lazy IT staff... They should be working to streamline your network's performance and reduce annoyances to users. Sounds like the IT guys in the Dilbert strips.
Yeah. I was pretty PO'd when I was told that. Right away I wanted to say that it was a crock of BS, but if I did that I'd be at the bottom of the list if something really happened to my workstation.

I was the network administrator for a large multi-facility medical practice with locations in various cities connected by dedicated lines. The owners did not want to upgrade the network because it would have cost them a lot of money to buy new servers and new workstations for all of the exam rooms, and to transition from DOS/Novell to Windows. The practice management software would not run under Windows. The accounting people, the transcriptionists, secretaries, etc needed the functionality of Windows+MS Office, and it was my job to make this happen, even though Windows and the old network software would not "play nice". I was the only IT guy taking care of the main office and 5 field offices, some of them with dozens of employees. If someone wanted something done, I wouldn't give them BS - I'd give them my best effort.

I can't really decide if it was laziness or ineptitude. There is one other reason that just occurred to me...The IT folks here hate it if you change any single setting on your machine. One gave me a rash of crap because I switched the XP views to classic Windows. It makes no sense to me, but maybe this was an extension of not wanting us stupid users messing with settings.

1. How do I stop the annoying XP printing pop-up from appearing?

The first step to getting rid of the XP printing pop-up is to open the "Printers and Faxes" folder in the Control Panel. Right-click on the printer you are using and select "Properties" from the drop-down menu. In the properties window, go to the "Advanced" tab and uncheck the box next to "Notify when remote documents are printed." This will prevent the pop-up from appearing in the future.

2. Why does the XP printing pop-up keep appearing even after I've disabled it?

There are a few possible reasons for this. One possibility is that you have multiple printers set up and the pop-up is appearing for a different printer. Make sure you have disabled the pop-up for all printers. Another possibility is that the pop-up is being triggered by a specific program or application. Try closing all programs and applications and then disabling the pop-up again.

3. Can I customize the settings for the XP printing pop-up?

Yes, you can customize the settings for the pop-up in the "Advanced" tab of the printer properties window. You can choose to be notified when documents are printed locally or remotely, or you can disable the pop-up completely. You can also choose to have the pop-up appear for specific printers or documents.

4. Will disabling the XP printing pop-up affect my ability to print remotely?

No, disabling the pop-up will not affect your ability to print remotely. You will still be able to send documents to your printer from other devices, but you will not be notified when the printing is complete.

5. How do I know if the XP printing pop-up is enabled or disabled?

To check if the pop-up is enabled or disabled, go to the "Advanced" tab in the printer properties window. If the box next to "Notify when remote documents are printed" is checked, the pop-up is enabled. If the box is unchecked, the pop-up is disabled.