Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

XP Printing Annoyance

1. Jul 1, 2008 #1

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Our work PCs have a very annoying pop up that displays every time a page is printed/plotted. It is an annoying balloon that pops up with the print manager icon in the system tray letting me know that I sent something to the printer (as if I didn't know I just hit the print button). I asked our I.T. folks about getting rid of it and they something that I just don't believe. They said that it was some sort of "political thing" with Microsoft and Windows that we can not get around. There is no way to get rid of it. I find that unbelievable.

Does anyone have any clues or ideas for getting rid of this annoying notification?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 1, 2008 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

4. Jul 1, 2008 #3

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

5. Jul 1, 2008 #4

turbo

Gold Member

Sorry that you have such ill-informed and/or lazy IT staff... They should be working to streamline your network's performance and reduce annoyances to users. Sounds like the IT guys in the Dilbert strips.

6. Jul 1, 2008 #5

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Yeah. I was pretty PO'd when I was told that. Right away I wanted to say that it was a crock of BS, but if I did that I'd be at the bottom of the list if something really happened to my workstation.

7. Jul 1, 2008 #6

turbo

Gold Member

I was the network administrator for a large multi-facility medical practice with locations in various cities connected by dedicated lines. The owners did not want to upgrade the network because it would have cost them a lot of money to buy new servers and new workstations for all of the exam rooms, and to transition from DOS/Novell to Windows. The practice management software would not run under Windows. The accounting people, the transcriptionists, secretaries, etc needed the functionality of Windows+MS Office, and it was my job to make this happen, even though Windows and the old network software would not "play nice". I was the only IT guy taking care of the main office and 5 field offices, some of them with dozens of employees. If someone wanted something done, I wouldn't give them BS - I'd give them my best effort.

8. Jul 2, 2008 #7

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I can't really decide if it was laziness or ineptitude. There is one other reason that just occurred to me...The IT folks here hate it if you change any single setting on your machine. One gave me a rash of crap because I switched the XP views to classic Windows. It makes no sense to me, but maybe this was an extension of not wanting us stupid users messing with settings.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?