1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Xray Imaging Intensity

1. Jun 18, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Imagine a 10 cm thick slab of flesh. If your x-ray imager can reliably identify a 5% change in intensity from one location to another in an image, what is the smallest diameter bone you are going to be able to make detect in your x-ray image?

Absorption length of bone: 0.017 m

2. Relevant equations

I=I0e-μx

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried letting 0.05=e-μx letting 0.017m be μ. The correct answer is supposed to be 1.3 mm but I can't seem to get that.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2014 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

1. going from 1 to 0.05 is a change of 0.95. Consider going from I = 1 to I = 0.95.
    2. μx must have no dimension, otherwise you can't exponentiate it. your exponent has the wrong dimension....
    3. What is the definition of absorption length in your context ? I = I0 / e or I = I0 / 2 ?

4. Jun 18, 2014 #3
    I set it up so that 0.95=e-μx trying to let μ=1/0.017 so that x could be in meters without having units in the exponent. That did not work either when trying to solve for x. There are no explanations for these practice problems and I have only ever heard the term "absorption coefficient" not absorption length, which is why I'm confused.

5. Jun 18, 2014 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

"Did not work either" means you found 0.017 m * ln(0.95) = 0.00087 m ?

I agree the most common maeening for absorption length is length over which I = I0 / e.

It's just because your 'right' answer corresponds to 0.017 m * 2log(0.95) that I asked for this context.

I can't think of anything else to help you with at this moment (bedtime+3h).....:frown:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted