XRD Burnishing: Investigating Residual Stress Measurements

• Thread starter zenite
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Xrd
In summary, the speaker is conducting a research project on measuring residual stresses for a specific material, Ti-6Al-4V, that has been burnished. They have encountered issues with accuracy, with values ranging from 99MPa to -360MPa and a standard deviation of +/- 300MPa. They are seeking advice on why this may be happening and if surface imperfections on their samples could be affecting the results. They also mention using a Philips Analytical X-Ray B.V. with Cu tube anode and needing a more accurate method for measuring residual stress on their small sample. Another participant in the conversation also shares similar issues with their results using a Bruker D8 XRD machine. They are unsure if their results
zenite
I am doing a research project on measurement of residual stresses for Ti-6Al-4V that has been burnished. I did the first scan to get my peaks, and selected the last peak (the highest 2 theta value) for the stress scan (sin^2 PSI method).

The problem is that the value I got for 3 samples (that are theoretically identical) is 99MPa, -300MPa, -360MPa. Also, the standard deviation for all 3 samples are in the region of +/- 300MPa (!). That is highly inaccurate.

Now, I have read many texts on XRD and the theories. But I have no idea why the accuracy for my sample is so bad. Can anyone advise me? My samples have some scratches are really small pitted holes, so will that affect the result?

I did another scan on the highest peak (instead of the one with the largest 2theta value), I ended up with -3000MPa. Really lost now.

I am using Philips Analytical X-Ray B.V. with Cu tube anode. Let me know if I have to provide any other details.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I also have same problem. I have been used Bruker D8 XRD machine. Some results are higher than 0.2% proof stress and tensile strength. I am confuse it can or can not. I need another accurate way to measure residual stress. but my sample is small (20mm diameter disk sample)

1. What is XRD burnishing?

XRD burnishing is a technique used in materials science to measure residual stresses in a material. It involves using a mechanical tool, such as a ball or roller, to compress the surface of a material and then using X-ray diffraction (XRD) to measure the resulting changes in the crystal lattice structure.

2. How does XRD burnishing work?

XRD burnishing works by applying mechanical compression to the surface of a material, causing the crystal lattice structure to deform. X-rays are then directed at the surface, and the resulting diffraction pattern is analyzed to determine the changes in the crystal structure, which can be used to calculate residual stresses.

3. What types of materials can be analyzed using XRD burnishing?

XRD burnishing can be used to analyze a wide range of materials, including metals, ceramics, and composites. However, it is most commonly used for metallic materials, such as steel, aluminum, and titanium alloys.

4. What are the advantages of XRD burnishing over other residual stress measurement techniques?

One of the main advantages of XRD burnishing is its non-destructive nature. Unlike other techniques, such as strain gauges or hole-drilling, XRD burnishing does not require any permanent changes to the material being analyzed. It also provides a more comprehensive measurement of residual stresses, as it can detect stresses at different depths below the surface.

5. What are the potential applications of XRD burnishing?

XRD burnishing has many potential applications, particularly in the aerospace, automotive, and manufacturing industries. It can be used to optimize manufacturing processes, improve the performance of materials, and prevent failures due to residual stresses. It can also be used for quality control and failure analysis in various industrial settings.