Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

XRD nano-hydroxyapatite

1. Sep 23, 2009 #1

Msl

Hello!

I would like to ask your help in the interpretation of Xrd data from hydroxyapatite nanopowder.
    I know from the start that powders which I am analysing are already crystalline (another techniques were used to confirme that) but I keep having a characteristic spectrum of amorphous hydroxyapatite.
    Why does this happen? What´s the influence of crystal size during in XRD procedure?

Thank you !

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2009 #2
    Hello,
    A small crystal size will induce a broadening effect of the Debye rings. This relationship is discribed by:

B=0.9[tex]\lambda[/tex]/tcos([tex]\theta[/tex])

B = broadening of diffraction line measure at FWHM
    t = crystal size diameter

B is the broadening of the peak due to grain size alone, therefore you must correct for the specific machine, do this using a large grained standard (of the same material).

B2 = BM2 - Bs2
    Where BM is the measured breadth of the diffraction line and Bs is the measured breadth of the of the standard line.

I hope this helps, all this info can be found with much better explanation in:

Elements of X-Ray Diffraction, 2nd Edition, B.D. Cullity

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook