Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

XRD sample preparation

1. Mar 13, 2017 #1
    I have some precipitate samples that I wish to analyze for XRD. I collected them by filtration of a slurry. Through the filtration, the precipitates "cemented" on the surface of the filter pad so the samples I collected are not exactly in powdered form, which I believe is the ideal form to do XRD analysis.

I have read that in such cases, pulverization can be achieved using mortar and pestle. However, I worry that this might affect the crystallinity of the precipitates, which is the most important characteristic that I wish to analyze.

Can somebody suggest a method to achieve pulverization without affecting (or at least minimizing) the effect on crystallinity? Or if I am to use mortar and pestle, is there an additional step that should be taken to avoid errors?

Thank you so much!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2017 #2

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Can you evaporate off the carrier fluid instead of using filtering for separation ?

4. Mar 13, 2017 #3
    I have thought of that but my slurry volume is 1 L so it may be a bit impractical to evaporate off the solvent. And I also have to collect the filtrate for analysis.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted