XRD sample preparation

I have some precipitate samples that I wish to analyze for XRD. I collected them by filtration of a slurry. Through the filtration, the precipitates "cemented" on the surface of the filter pad so the samples I collected are not exactly in powdered form, which I believe is the ideal form to do XRD analysis.

I have read that in such cases, pulverization can be achieved using mortar and pestle. However, I worry that this might affect the crystallinity of the precipitates, which is the most important characteristic that I wish to analyze.

Can somebody suggest a method to achieve pulverization without affecting (or at least minimizing) the effect on crystallinity? Or if I am to use mortar and pestle, is there an additional step that should be taken to avoid errors?

Thank you so much!

Nidum

Science Advisor
Gold Member
Can you evaporate off the carrier fluid instead of using filtering for separation ?

Can you evaporate off the carrier fluid instead of using filtering for separation ?
I have thought of that but my slurry volume is 1 L so it may be a bit impractical to evaporate off the solvent. And I also have to collect the filtrate for analysis.