Finding the Second Constant in an XRLC Circuit Current Response Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the constant B in an equation involving an integral. The solution involves using KVL to find the value of B and the initial conditions after the switch is opened. The method used is different than in previous exercises and involves finding the constants from the initial conditions at t=0+ instead of t=0-.
bodomizer

Homework Statement

FIND i(t).
x6eyh3.png
[/B]

Homework Equations

VL = L*(di/dt) (Equation 1)
IC = C*(dV/dt) (Equation 2)

I(t) = e^-9*t*(A*cos(4.359*t) + B*sen(4.359*t)) A (Equation 3)

The Attempt at a Solution

214e45h.jpg

I can get the exact value of the constant B as shown in the answer if I use -6 after the equal sign of the integral. The problem is, I don't understand WHY it should be -6. I solved everything else correctly, but I don't understand completely how to find the second constant "B".

PS: I solved the integral on Wolfram Alpha.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would look at it this way. Immediately after opening the switch, do a KVL around the loop. The voltage across the capacitor is 6V, because that's what it charged up to while the switch was closed. 1A of current is circulating around the loop, because that's how much current was flowing when the switch was closed. So each of the resistors has 1A flowing through it, so the 6 ohm resistor is dropping 6 volts, and the 3 ohm resistor is dropping 3V. So summing up the voltages around the loop gives:
[tex] 6 + L \frac{di}{dt}(t=0) + 3 -6 = 0[/tex]
[tex] L \frac{di}{dt}(t=0) = -3[/tex]
[tex] 0.5 (-9 + 4.359 \times B) = -3[/tex]
[tex] B = \frac{3}{4.359} = 0.6882[/tex]

@phyzguy Your solution seems correct, but shouldn't I find the initial conditions before opening the switch? That's how it worked for all the other exercises: I find the ODE on t>0 and solve it, and then the constants from the initial conditions on t = 0-

bodomizer said:
@phyzguy Your solution seems correct, but shouldn't I find the initial conditions before opening the switch? That's how it worked for all the other exercises: I find the ODE on t>0 and solve it, and then the constants from the initial conditions on t = 0-

I don't see how. Before you open the switch, there is no voltage dropped across the inductor, since di/dt = 0, and there is no voltage dropped across the 3 ohm resistor, because there is no current flowing through it. It is only after the switch is opened that the initial conditions are established. For example, if I change the 3 ohm resistor to 3000 ohms, all of the initial conditions when the switch is closed are the same, but the initial conditions after the switch is opened are very different. I would say that the constants are found from the initial conditions at t=0+, not t=0-.

1. What is an XRLC circuit?

An XRLC circuit is an electrical circuit that contains an inductor (X), a resistor (R), a capacitor (C), and a voltage source (L). These components are connected in series and interact with each other to produce a specific response to an applied current.

2. How does an XRLC circuit respond to an applied current?

An XRLC circuit responds to an applied current by producing a voltage across the inductor and the capacitor. The voltage across the inductor lags behind the current by 90 degrees, while the voltage across the capacitor leads the current by 90 degrees. The voltage across the resistor is in phase with the current.

3. What factors affect the current response in an XRLC circuit?

The current response in an XRLC circuit is affected by the values of the inductor, resistor, capacitor, and the frequency of the applied current. The circuit's impedance, which is the total opposition to current flow, also plays a significant role in determining the current response.

4. How is the current response measured in an XRLC circuit?

The current response in an XRLC circuit can be measured using various techniques, including using an oscilloscope to measure the voltage across each component and calculating the current using Ohm's law. The current response can also be measured using a multimeter, which directly measures the current flowing through the circuit.

5. What are the practical applications of XRLC circuits?

XRLC circuits have a variety of practical applications in electronics, including in filters, amplifiers, and resonant circuits. They are also commonly used in power supplies, power factor correction circuits, and frequency-selective networks. XRLC circuits are also essential in designing and analyzing complex electronic systems.