What is the correct way to find the x'root'9^12?

And thank you for the compliment!In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving simplifying an expression without using a calculator. The original problem is (9^(3/x))^4, and the relevant equation given is a^n/m = m'root'a^n. The poster attempts to solve the problem by adding the powers and simplifying, but is unsure how to proceed without knowing the value of x. Another user suggests rewriting the problem as \sqrt[x]{9^{12}} and solving for x, but the original poster realizes that the problem may have been printed incorrectly and the intended value of x is actually 8. The conversation ends with the original poster thanking the user for their help.
disregardthat
Science Advisor

Homework Statement

(9^(3/x))^4
(without calculator)

Homework Equations

a^n/m = m'root'a^n

The Attempt at a Solution

adding the powers: 3/x*4/1 = 12/x

9^12/x

x'root'9^12 = ?

----------------------

Ok, it's supposed to be 27, but how can you know something that are being rooted from x?

The calculator says it's 2.655 when I use the x'root'9^12 (It's incorrect and I'm not allowed to do that)

How does it get that from x? And what is the correct way to find it?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand your notation, and it does seem like you would need x in order to work out the problem. What is the full problem statement? Does it say "find x for each of the following", or something? Or given that x=(something), work out each of the following...

Is this what you are trying to write? [tex]( {9^\frac{3}{x}} )^4[/tex]

That's excactly what I try to write, Thanks, and no, it doesn't say anything more than:

Calculate without using your calculator:
a)
b)
c)
d)
e)
f) [tex]( {9^\frac{3}{x}} )^4[/tex]

(plus the relevant equation at the top of the page of a^n/m = m'root'a^n (I don't know the equation code for that)

Well, you can certainly calculate it for x = 1, 3, and 6, and all give different answers. So the answer is not independent of x. Given the relevant equation that you've listed (which must be part of the subject matter for the section you are working on), they must want you to just re-write the number... ? Which is what you did. I don't see how you can go farther without knowing x, with or without a calculator.

[tex]\sqrt[x]{9^{12}}[/tex]

Thanks, I will tell my teacher this tomorrow.

(still don't know why my calculator came up with his weird answer, but I will ask him that too)

Jarle said:
Thanks, I will tell my teacher this tomorrow.

(still don't know why my calculator came up with his weird answer, but I will ask him that too)

Oh great! Gonna get me in trouble with the prof, eh? :rofl:

BTW, your calculator gave you an answer because there was already something in the x register, most likely. Just left over from whatever your previous calculation was. Try it again, this time explicitly putting in the values 1, 3, 6, and see what the three answers are that you get (hopefully they'll be the same ones you worked out in your head).

You are safe behind the internet wall, so don't worry :)
He is a smart guy though...

EDIT: This is kind of embarrasing... :redface:

It might be that the machine that printed out this question have accidentaly cut away the top and bottom of the number "8", so it showed X instead. It's probably supposed to be 8, and that's is correct too... :grumpy:

See how much a little mistake can make lots of useless work for a poor fellow??

Last edited:
Jarle said:

Homework Statement

(9^(3/x))^4
(without calculator)

Homework Equations

a^n/m = m'root'a^n

The Attempt at a Solution

adding the powers: 3/x*4/1 = 12/x

9^12/x

x'root'9^12 = ?

----------------------

Ok, it's supposed to be 27, but how can you know something that are being rooted from x?

The calculator says it's 2.655 when I use the x'root'9^12 (It's incorrect and I'm not allowed to do that)

How does it get that from x? And what is the correct way to find it?

What's supposed to be 27.

If x is 27, and
[tex]9^{(\frac{12}{x}) } = y[/tex]
then y does equal 2.655.

If
[tex]9^{(\frac{12}{x}) } = 27[/tex]
then you can solve for x.

The second makes more sense if you're supposed to solve this without a calculator.

Last edited:
Oh, we posted at the same time...

I understand how we can find X, and It's probably going to be "8" if you read the post I made...

sorry about this... :frown:

Jarle said:
It might be that the machine that printed out this question have accidentaly cut away the top and bottom of the number "8", so it showed X instead. It's probably supposed to be 8, and that's is correct too... :grumpy:

Oh my gosh, that's funny in a weird way. I think that's a new one -- a printing error that totally changes the meaning of the problem. Even if I had solved for 8 as the only possibility for x, I don't think I would have seen the geometric clue that x was really an 8. Oh well, all's well that ends well.

What is "X" root homework problem help?

"X" root homework problem help refers to assistance provided by a tutor or online service for solving problems involving finding the "X" root of a number or equation.

What are some common "X" root homework problems?

Some common "X" root homework problems include finding the square root, cube root, or nth root of a number, as well as solving equations involving these roots.

Why is "X" root homework important?

Understanding "X" root homework problems is important because it builds a foundation for more advanced math concepts, such as algebra and calculus. It also helps develop problem-solving and critical thinking skills.

How can "X" root homework problem help improve my grades?

By seeking help with "X" root homework problems, students can better understand the concepts and methods involved, leading to improved grades and confidence in math.

What resources are available for "X" root homework problem help?

There are many resources available for "X" root homework problem help, including online tutoring services, math forums, and textbooks with practice problems and solutions. Many schools also offer after-school tutoring or math help centers.