Solve xsin(x)=(x-6)^2 Equation | Homework Help

• Thread starter danerape
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is discussing the equation xsin(x)=(x-6)^2 and how to solve it for finding points of intersection. One suggestion is to use Newton's method, but the person would prefer to avoid it. Another suggestion is to set sinx=x, but it is uncertain if it would work. It is acknowledged that the equation cannot be solved algebraically.
danerape

Homework Statement

xsin(x)=(x-6)^2

This is for a solid of revolution problem, and I am trying to set these equal to each other to find the points of intersection. How can I solve this equation?

Thanks

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org

Do you know Newton's method? You'll have to resort to an iterative technique. This can't be solved algebraically.

Yeah, I know Newtons method, but really would have rather not resorted to that...LoL... anyways, I did not believe it to be solvable algebraically, but then again, I never took a trig class.

Thanks

danerape said:

Homework Statement

xsin(x)=(x-6)^2

This is for a solid of revolution problem, and I am trying to set these equal to each other to find the points of intersection. How can I solve this equation?

Thanks

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Maybe if for very minute x value you can set sinx=x ?

1. What is the first step to solve this equation?

The first step is to expand the right side of the equation using the FOIL method: (x-6)^2 = x^2 - 12x + 36. This will give you a quadratic equation in the form of xsin(x) = x^2 - 12x + 36.

2. How do I solve for x?

To solve for x, you can use the quadratic formula: x = (-b±√(b^2-4ac))/2a. In this case, a=1, b=-1, and c=36. Plug in these values to get x = (-(-1)±√((-1)^2-4(1)(36)))/2(1), which simplifies to x = (1±√(1-144))/2. This will give you two possible solutions for x.

3. Can I use a calculator to solve this equation?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve this equation. However, be sure to use parentheses when entering the equation to ensure the correct order of operations. Also, be aware that calculators may not give exact solutions for irrational or complex numbers.

4. Are there any restrictions on the values of x?

Yes, there are restrictions on the values of x. Since the original equation includes the sine function, the solutions for x must also satisfy the domain of the sine function, which is all real numbers. In addition, the solutions must also satisfy the original equation, which may limit the possible values of x.

5. Can I use any other methods to solve this equation?

Yes, there are other methods that can be used to solve this equation, such as factoring or graphing. However, the quadratic formula is often the most efficient method for solving quadratic equations.