1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Y=1/x + 1/(x+1)

1. Feb 16, 2009 #1
    in try to use curve sketching methods to graph this equation ive come across a problem in

y''=[2(x+1)^3+2x^3]/x^3(x+1)^3

I have verified this equation for y'' is correct but solving the numerator for critical numbers by hand ?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2009 #2

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

How accurate does the graph need to be?

I mean you know how the graph 1/x looks like (I hope you do), 1/(x+1) is similar but with an asymptote in x=-1, the graph should be a superposition of these graphs, so if x+1>0, the graph of 1/(x+1) will tend more rapidly to zero than 1/x so it's dominant in the region of x>0, so the tendency of y to zero should be similar to 1/(x+1) from -1 to zero, and for 0<x<<1 the 1/x is dominant.

4. Feb 16, 2009 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There several ways to solve x^3+(x+1)^3=0 by hand. i) Multiply it out and factor it. ii) There's a formula to factor the sum of two cubes. Or iii) write it as -x^3=(x+1)^3 and take the cube root. You'll lose the complex roots if you do it that way, but you don't need them for this problem anyway.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook