1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Y^2 = x^2

1. May 18, 2010 #1
    The graph of [itex]y^2 = x^2[/itex] (1) looks simply like [itex]y = x[/itex] (2) and [itex]y = -x[/itex] (3) plotted on the same axis.

Is it possible to parameterize (1)?

2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2010 #2
    Parametrized by a continuous curve? If so, no, because removing the origin from y^2 = x^2 gives 4 pieces, whereas removing a point from an interval (a, b) gives 2 pieces. More precisely, the image of (a,c) U (c, b) where a < c < b is going to be the union of two connected sets, and this can't possibly be 4 non-intersecting connected pieces.

If not continuous, then yes, simply by a cardinality argument.

4. May 19, 2010 #3
    Thanks Werg22! I meant parametrized by expressing y in terms of t and x in terms of t. I understand why it can't be a continuous curve. How would you parametrize it, not continuously, "by a cardinality argument"?

5. May 19, 2010 #4

mathman

Science Advisor

This may be silly, but:
    x2=t and y2=t

6. May 19, 2010 #5
    Hahaha, I knew that :tongue:. I meant, x = some function of t and y = some function of t. And I don't think [itex]x = \pm \sqrt{t}[/itex] and [itex]y = \pm \sqrt{t}[/itex] counts.

7. May 19, 2010 #6
    I don't know of any explicit parametrization, but any proper real interval has the same cardinality as y^2 = x^2, so an onto map from (a,b) to y^2 = x^2 exists. This is simply an existential statement, take it for what it's worth.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook