1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Y'' + 5y' = 400 sin(5 t) + 250 cos(5 t), but also has inital conditions? Diff EQ

1. Feb 25, 2006 #1
    This one got me alittle discombobulated. Initiallly I thought they wanted me to find a particular solution, which I did. But then later I saw it supplied to intial conditions. So I guessed y = Asin(5t)+Bcos(5t) then took derivatives, and applied the intial conditions but also was wrong. Here is the question:

Find the solution of
    y'' + 5y' = 400sin(5 t) + 250cos(5 t)
    with y(0) = 8 and y'(0) = 8 .
    y =

Here is my work:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2006 #2

Homework Helper

Where is the solution of the homogenous part?
  4. Feb 25, 2006 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

y= (8/5)sin(5t)+ 8 cos(5t) is NOT the general solution to the equation. You've left out the solution to the homogeneous part.
  5. Feb 25, 2006 #4
    mr_coffee, remember that it is [itex]y=y_h+y_p[/itex].
  6. Feb 25, 2006 #5
    O yeah i don't know what i was thinking, well I found the homogenous equation added it to the paricular, but still got it wrong:

For the homogenous i put:
    y = A + Be^(-5t)
    because the other r is 0, e^0 =1.

8 = y(0) = A+Be^(-5t);
    8 = A+B;

8=y'(0) = -5Be^(-5t);
    8 = -5B;
    B = -8/5;

A = 8+8/5 = 48/5;

So for my answer i put:

Any ideas wehre i f'ed this one/
  7. Feb 25, 2006 #6
    The inital conditions apply to the total answer, i.e. write down [itex]y=y_h+y_p[/itex] and then apply the IC.
  8. Feb 26, 2006 #7
    I managed to not do it right again, i did what you said correctly i think...
    here is my work:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?