Y-Chromosomal Adam Older Than Thought: New Research

• Thread starter Pythagorean
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a Y-chromosomal Adam, a common ancestor of all humans through solely patrilineal descent. The article mentioned presents new research on the subject, stating that YC Adam is older than previously thought. The conversation also explores the possibility of another Y-chromosomal Adam and the limitations of tracking DNA from father to daughter. However, it is concluded that over time, the probability of another line surviving goes to zero.
Pythagorean
Gold Member
I didn't realize there was a counterpart to Mitochondrial Eve

wiki said:
His other male contemporaries also have descendants alive today, but not, by definition, through solely patrilineal descent.

This is in contrast to M Eve, whom I believe is actually a common ancestor to all of us.

The following article just presents new research saying YC Adam is older than previous research had found, but for me, it was the existence of a YC Adam that was novel.

http://www.sci-news.com/genetics/science-y-chromosomal-adam-01709.html

Biology news on Phys.org
That makes sense though since the Y is transmitted from father to son only just like mitochondrial DNA is transmitted from mother to child always.

I wonder though if there's any trackable DNA from father to daughter though?

Half of the DNA, but nothing you could track over many generations in a specific pattern (m->f->m->f?) because all those parts get mixed together from both parents.

Hrrrm.. then isn't possible there's another Y-chromosomal Adam and we just haven't found his lineage yet?

Over time, the probability that more than one line survives goes to zero (unless the population grows fast and exponentially, and it never did that over a long time). Another line would just mean we found the wrong "Adam" and have to go back more. If necessary, you could go back all the way to the first appearance of the male/female chromosome system - but Adam lived much later than that.

mfb said:
Half of the DNA, but nothing you could track over many generations in a specific pattern (m->f->m->f?) because all those parts get mixed together from both parents.

I was thinking whether there's some structure like mitochondria that comes from the sperm cell that has only a fathers contribution. That's what I meant by trackable DNA.

1. Who is Y-Chromosomal Adam?

Y-Chromosomal Adam is the most recent common ancestor of all living male humans. He is the male counterpart to Mitochondrial Eve, who is the most recent common ancestor of all living females.

2. How old is Y-Chromosomal Adam?

According to new research, Y-Chromosomal Adam is estimated to have lived 340,000 years ago, which is older than previously thought.

3. How was the age of Y-Chromosomal Adam determined?

The age of Y-Chromosomal Adam was determined by analyzing the DNA of living humans and tracing back the Y chromosome to its most recent common ancestor.

4. Why is the new research significant?

The new research on Y-Chromosomal Adam's age provides a more accurate and comprehensive understanding of human evolution and migration patterns. It also sheds light on the genetic diversity and origins of modern humans.

5. Does this mean that Y-Chromosomal Adam was the only man alive at that time?

No, Y-Chromosomal Adam was not the only man alive during that time. He was simply the most recent common ancestor of all living male humans. There were likely many other men who lived during that time, but their lineage did not survive to the present day.