Y = mx + c offset conversion

• Thread starter rocketman46
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is discussing an offset conversion for a sensor that measures current and relates it to speed. The formula being used is y = mx + c, where m is the slope and c is the y-intercept. The goal is to determine the speed when the current reading is 7 mA, but there is confusion around the use of rms and the value of c. The solution involves fitting a straight line to two points and calculating the slope and y-intercept.
rocketman46
Hi all,

I am just just trying to work out an offset conversion for a sensor I am using, but my transposition is not working out. OK below I will explain:

* Sensor 4 - 20mA coverts to 0 - 20mm/s rms

So:

y = m . x + c
4(mA) = m . 0(mm/s rms) + c therefore tidying up 4(mA) = 0(mm/s rms).m + c
20(mA) = m . 20(mm/s rms) + c therefore tidying up 20(mA) = 20(mm/s rms).m + c

So drawing graph out on paper I make x = 1

Therefore, 20(mA) = 1 . 20(mm/s rms) + c

Transposing 20mA - 20 = c

c = -19.98mA/C

y (mA) = x(mm/ r rms) + c

y (mA) - c = x(mm/ r rms)

so working formula back:

7ma reading on sensor

y (mA) - c = x(mm/ r rms)

7mA -(-19.98mA/C) = 26.98mm/ s rms, which is wrong?

Can somebody help with what I am doing wrong.

Thanks in advance.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
In order to map 4 to 20 into 0 to 20 you have to translate the left endpoint from 4 to 0 and then stretch the interval from length 16 to length 20. So x ma is mapped into (20/16)(x- 4)= (5/4)(x- 4)= (5/4)x- 5= 1.25x- 5 mm/s rms. A reading of 7 ma would be mapped to 1.25(7)- 5= 3.75 mm/s rms.

Ok, your explanation of what you are trying to do is pretty confusing. I am having to guess a lot of what is going on here.

It seems like you have a sensor that produces a current, and you want to relate that current to the speed of an object the sensor is "looking" at. That means that speed is "y" and current is "x", and you want y=mx + c. You read current, apply the formula, and get speed.

It looks like you get a reading of 4 mA at a speed of 0 mm/s. And 20 mA at a speed of 20 mm/s. And you want to know what the speed is when you get a reading of 7 mA.

Is that right?

There are several things that are confusing me.
Why do you mention rms? As in "Therefore, 20(mA) = 1 . 20(mm/s rms) + c"?
What is the C in "c = -19.98mA/C"?

Anyway, you seem to be trying to fit a straight line to two points. So you just have to remember that m is "rise over run." So y changes by this much divided by x changes by that much, and that's m. Careful to get the sign right. And c is the value of y at x = 0.

1. What is the significance of the "Y = mx + c" equation?

The equation "Y = mx + c" is commonly used in mathematics and science to represent a linear relationship between two variables, where Y represents the dependent variable, m represents the slope, x represents the independent variable, and c represents the y-intercept.

2. How does "Y = mx + c" relate to "slope-intercept" form?

"Y = mx + c" is the standard form of a linear equation, while "y = mx + b" is the slope-intercept form. Both equations represent the same relationship between variables, but the "c" in "Y = mx + c" is commonly used to represent the y-intercept, while "b" in "y = mx + b" is used to represent the y-intercept.

3. Can "Y = mx + c" be used for non-linear relationships?

No, "Y = mx + c" can only represent linear relationships. For non-linear relationships, different equations and methods are needed to accurately represent the data.

4. How can "Y = mx + c" be used for data analysis?

"Y = mx + c" can be used to find the slope and y-intercept of a linear relationship, which can provide insight into the relationship between the variables. It can also be used to make predictions and estimate values for the dependent variable based on given values for the independent variable.

5. What is the purpose of the "c" in "Y = mx + c"?

The "c" in "Y = mx + c" represents the y-intercept, which is the value of the dependent variable when the independent variable is equal to 0. It is an important parameter in determining the overall shape and position of a linear relationship.