1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Y = p + q cos x

1. Jun 3, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have a graph of 5 = cos 0 and 1 = cos 180. The question is find the values for integers p and q
    y = p + q cos x

p and q are integers

How do I go about doing this

Thx

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 3, 2007 #2

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Excuse me? I don't think anyone will understand that...5= cos 0? Not only is that not true..how you graph something like that is out of the question, similarly to the 1=cos 180. State the question more clearly please.

4. Jun 3, 2007 #3
    sorry. I mean the graph cos x starts at y = 1 when x = 0 and goes into a bucket like shape. The graph I'm given is the same as y = cos x EXCEPT that it's when x = 0 y = 5 and when x = 180 y = 1... so the lowest value of y is 1 and it's highest is 5, if you see what i mean?

Thx

5. Jun 3, 2007 #4

VietDao29

Homework Helper

Ok, so when x = 0, then y = 5, it means that:
    5 = p + q cos(0o) = p + q

When x = 180o, y = 1, that means:
    1 = p + q cos(180o) = p - q

So you have 2 equations:
    [tex]\left\{ \begin{array}{ccc} 5 & = & p + q \\ 1 & = & p - q \end{array} \right.[/tex]
    From the system of equations above, can you solve for 2 unknowns, namely, p, and q?
    Can you go from here? :)

Last edited: Jun 3, 2007
  6. Jun 3, 2007 #5
    similtaneous equations
    p = 1 + q

so 5 = 1 + q + q
    so q = 2
    therefore p = 3

right?

7. Jun 3, 2007 #6

VietDao29

Homework Helper

Perfectly correct. Congratulations. :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?