1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Y=sec^2x at pi/4

1. Nov 3, 2015 #1
    • Post was misplaced in a technical forum section, so is missing the homework template
    I need to solve y = sec^2 x - 2sin x, i'm fine with the 2sin x, but for the sec^2 x...

I can't seem to understand how to do it... I can get it to...

sin^2 x + cos^2 x / cos^2 x or 1 / cos^2x

but I don't understand how to solve it when the square comes right after the cos/sin etc.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2015 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

What do you mean by "solving" this equation?
    To solve an equation that involves a single variable, you isolate the variable on one side of the equation, and everything else on the other side.
    When you solve an equation that involves two variables, you isolate the variable you're solving for on one side, with everything else on the other.

##\sec x = \frac{1}{\cos x}##, so ##\sec^2 x = \frac{1}{\cos^2 x}##. What is ##\cos(\pi/4)##?
    Your equation is already solved for y, and I don't think it's possible to solve for x in that equation.

Edit: Ah, now I understand. You want to evaluate ##\sec^2 x - 2\sin x## at ##x = \pi/4##.
    This information should be in the body of the post, not just in the thread title.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
  4. Nov 4, 2015 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Now I am confused! abm7, do you want to solve [itex]y= sec^2(x)- 2sin(x)[/itex] for x, in terms of y, or do you want to evaluate it at [itex]x= \pi/4[/itex]?

"Solving" the equation will be hard- it reduces to a cubic equation for sin(x).

5. Nov 4, 2015 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You need to enclose the entire numerator in parentheses as follows/
    (sin^2 x + cos^2 x) / cos^2 x​

I get the sense that you don';t understand what is meant by using the exponent with the trig functions such as
    sin2(x)​

All it means is to take sin(x) and square it:
    sin2(x) = (sin(x))2

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted