1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Y = Sin(x) + Cos(x) Transpose

1. Jun 15, 2009 #1
    Hi Guys, Simple question; I'm trying to work out the transpose of Y = Sin(x) + Cos(x) to make x the subject. I thought it would be x = arccos(arcsin(y)) / 2 however I don't think thats right. Is there another theorem I'm missing?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2009 #2
    what's [tex]y^2[/tex]?

4. Jun 15, 2009 #3
    that is meant to be divided by 2

5. Jun 15, 2009 #4
    [tex]y = sin(x) + cos(x)[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow y^2 = (sin(x) + cos(x))^2[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow y^2 = sin^2(x) + 2sin(x)cos(x) + cos^2(x)[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow y^2 = \left(sin^2(x) + cos^2(x)\right) + 2sin(x)cos(x)[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow y^2 = 1 + 2sin(x)cos(x)[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow y^2 - 1 = 2sin(x)cos(x)[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow y^2 - 1 = sin(2x)[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow 2x = \sin^{-1 }(y^2 - 1)[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow x = \frac { \sin^{-1 } (y^2 - 1) } {2} [/tex]

Last edited: Jun 15, 2009
  6. Jun 15, 2009 #5
    Thanks very much for that. Anyone looking for the rules for this, I've found them on http://math2.org/math/trig/identities.htm

sin(2x) = 2 sin x cos x

sin^2(x) = 1/2 - 1/2 cos(2x)

cos^2(x) = 1/2 + 1/2 cos(2x)

7. Jun 15, 2009 #6
    [tex]sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) = 1[/tex] should be one of the first identities you learn.

8. Jun 15, 2009 #7

Mute

Homework Helper

You can put it into another form by noting:

[tex]\sin x + \cos x = \sqrt{2}\left[\sin x \left(\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\right) + \cos x \left(\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \right)\right] = \sqrt{2}\left[\sin x \cos \frac{\pi}{4} + \cos x \sin \frac{\pi}{4} \right] = \sqrt{2}\sin \left(x+\frac{\pi}{4}\right)[/tex].

So, y is also equal to this expression and you can solve for x. Since you don't seem to be familiar with many trig identities, I used the sine "angle sum formula", [itex]\sin(a \pm b) = \sin a \cos b \pm \cos a \sin b[/itex].

Last edited: Jun 15, 2009
  9. Aug 8, 2009 #8
    Suppose I was to change the equation to Y = a sin(x) + b cos(x). How would I transpose it to make x the subject? I've searched through identities on that site but can't find one that relates to having 2 different coefficients a and b.

10. Aug 8, 2009 #9

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Think hard about how Mute's example works....

11. Aug 8, 2009 #10
    A bit more searching I've come across this:

a sin x + b cos x = R sin (x + alpha) which is an R Formulae with R = Sqrt(a^2 + b^2) and alpha = atan(b / a). If I use that I should be able to solve for x.

Having a look at Mute's post, what should I be looking for? It's been a few years since I left school so most of this is going back to that. I'd rather know how this thing works than just the answer so I'll keep looking.

12. Aug 8, 2009 #11

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

To derive the formula you just found by searching -- his calculation is the derivation of that formula, just in a special case.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook