Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Y = |x+1|-1

1. May 13, 2010 #1
    if i have an equation of a graph and it had a modulus in it. how do i find where it crosses the x and y axis. From what i know inside the modulus is alway positive.

y=|x+1|-1

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2010 #2

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Re: modulus

If "inside the modulus is alway positive", that is, if x+ 1> 0, then |x+ 1|= x+ 1 and so your equation becomes y= x+ 1- 1= x. The graph of y= x is the straight line passing through (0, 0).

If, however, you only meant that the modulus (absolute value) is never negative (it can be 0), then you need to break the problem into two parts: If x< -1, then x+1< 0 and so |x+ 1|= -(x+1). For x< -1, y= |x+1|- 1= -x- 1- 1= -x- 2. That crosses the x-axis when -x- 2= 0 or when x= -2 which is less that -1 so one x-intercept is at x= -2. The "y- intercept" occurs when x= 0 which does not satisfy x< -1.

If [itex]x\ge -1[/itex] then [itex]x+ 1\ge 0[/itex] and so |x+ 1|= x+ 1. NOW we have y= |x+1|- 1= x+ 1=1 = x which crosses the x-axis and y-axis at (0,0).

The x-intercepts are x= -2 and x= 0 and the y-intercept is y= 0.

4. May 13, 2010 #3
    Re: modulus

thank you. i was meaning that the abosolute value is never negative.

great help.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook