Is it possible to define irrational powers for negative numbers?

• Thread starter Unredeemed
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the challenges of plotting the graph of y=x^(1/x), particularly for negative values of x. The speaker considers different approaches, including using complex numbers and the function f(x)= a^x, to find solutions for both rational and irrational negatives. They also mention the possibility of defining the function for negative values using transformations and powers of 10.
Unredeemed
I've been trying to plot the graph of y=x^(1/x).

The positive values of x have been fine, but the negative values have presented quite a challenge.

For even negative integers, I realized the y value was complex and for odd negative integers it was real.

Then, I started thinking about the vaues between integers (e.g. -2.5^(1/-2.5) and could only really come up with an answer for the rational negatives.

Am I right in thinking that you can find out by transforming the number into an integer by multiplying by a power of 10 and then seeing if it's odd or even?

I had absolutely no idea about how to deal with the irrational number (e.g. -pi^(-pi)). Does it require some kind of definition for irrational powers?

Thanks, in advance, for your help.

Unredeemed.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
One approach is to use the following: xy=eyln(x).

If x < 0 (or in general, x complex), x=rexp(iu). So ln(x)= ln(r) +iu. For x < 0, u=π.

Therefore for x < 0, xy=ey{ln(|x|)+πi}.

I hope this helps!

Generally speaking, the function [itex]f(x)= a^x[/itex] is only defined for positive a. That means that [itex]f(x)= x^x[/itex] can only be defined for positive x.

(Or, as Mathman does, go into complex numbers.)

1. What does the graph of y=x^(1/x) look like?

The graph of y=x^(1/x) is a curve that approaches the x-axis as x approaches zero and approaches the line y=1 as x approaches infinity. It has a maximum value of y=1 at x=e, where e is the base of the natural logarithm.

2. Is y=x^(1/x) a continuous function?

Yes, y=x^(1/x) is a continuous function. This means that there are no breaks or gaps in the graph and the function can be drawn without lifting the pencil from the paper.

3. What is the domain of y=x^(1/x)?

The domain of y=x^(1/x) is all positive real numbers greater than zero, since x^(1/x) is undefined for negative numbers and zero.

4. Can the irrational power in y=x^(1/x) be simplified?

No, the irrational power in y=x^(1/x) cannot be simplified to a rational number. This is because x^(1/x) is a special case of the exponential function and cannot be simplified using traditional algebraic methods.

5. How does the graph of y=x^(1/x) compare to y=x^2 and y=x^3?

The graph of y=x^(1/x) is a combination of the graphs of y=x^2 and y=x^3. It has similar concavity to y=x^2, but approaches the x-axis faster as x approaches infinity, similar to y=x^3.