1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Y^x = x^y

1. Feb 22, 2004 #1

jcsd

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For the equation:

[tex]y^x = x^y[/tex]

There are several trivial solutions:

such as:

[tex]y = x[/tex]

and a further set of trivial solutions for:

[tex]y^{y^y} = y^{y^2}[/tex]

Now I know for a fact there are also sevral non-trivial solutions and there is a method thta could possibly obtain a
    general solution, so does anyone here know how to obtian a general solution or if not suggest other sets of solutions?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2004 #2

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

can you show the method that possibly give a general solution?

i know for sure that some users at scinceforums.net will be glad to know the solution.

4. Feb 23, 2004 #3

jcsd

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have seen the method before and a few non-trivial solutions obtained from it, but unfortunately I cannot remember it or even it's name.

As I said before their most definetely does exist non-trivial solutions to this equation which some might be interetsed to know.

5. Feb 23, 2004 #4

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

[tex]y^x=x^y[/tex]
    [tex]xlny=ylnx[/tex] (assuming x and y are > 0 )
    [tex]\frac{ln x}{x}=\frac{ln y}{y}[/tex] (x and y are non-zero by assumption above)
    [tex]x^{\frac{1}{x}}=y^{\frac{1}{y}}[/tex]

Now , in the reals, for positive [tex]x[/tex]
    [tex]f(x)=x^{\frac{1}{x}}[/tex] has two inverses for any [tex]f(x) \in (1,e^{\frac{1}{e}})[/tex] which leads to a family of non-trivial solutions. For example:
    2 and 4 or 3 and 2.47779..

Fractional roots in the complex domain are multi-valued, so things get a bit more complicated if this approach is applied for x,y < 0.
    [tex]x^y=y^x[/tex]
    [tex]e^{ylnx}=e^{xlny}[/tex]
    [tex]ylnx=xlny + n2\pi i[/tex]
    Since the natural long in complex numbers has multiple branches, things get a bit sticky here, but there are probably additional complex solutions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook