Methods for Solving y in y' + y = 0: Series and More

• Thread starter pivoxa15
  • Start date
In summary: I don't remember what the symbol is for the constant, C_0. I think it is just a number between 0 and 1. I used 0 for C_0 in the first two terms and 1 for C_0 in the third term.In summary, the different methods of solving for y are as follows:-The Attempt at a Solution: using a series solution and finding sin and cos series solutions.-Cast the problem into matrix form, x'=Ax, A is a matrix and the solution is x=e^A.-You can do Laplace transformation.-You can keep differentiating the equation and find y, y', y'', y'''... at a particular point
pivoxa15

Homework Statement

What are the different methods of solving for y?

Using the series method is one way but I seem to be stuck to get to the correct form for y. My problem is shown in post 3.

The Attempt at a Solution

There is guessing that y=Asin(x)+Bcos(x)
Using a series solution and finding sin and cos series solutions What else?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hmmm... the possibilities are virtually endless.

you can cast the problem into matrix form, x'=Ax, A is a matrix and the solution is x=e^A

you can do Laplace transformation

you can factor the differential operator, and solve for each of them.

you can apply idea from Banach fixed point theorem and try a solution and then iteratively integrating it. (similar to a series solution)

you can keep differentiating the equation and find y, y', y'', y'''... at a particular point then smack it together in a Taylor series fashion.

you can find an integrating factor and integrate.

you can have a system of ODE's, k=-y', y=k', and look at the complex number n=k+iy and solve a first order ODE.

Last edited:
Ok. But if using the series method, I am having problems constructing the solution to y''+ay=0, a>0

The solution should be y=Asin(a^.5x)+Bcos(a^.5x)

In the recursion relation I get -aCn/(n+2)(n+1) = Cn+2

However to construct sin, I need a to have fractional power which I cannot seem to get.

i.e. for odd n, Cn should have a with a fractional power like n+.5 or a^(n+.5) but I can only see a^n in Cn for all n.

Last edited:
Well, the general method for solving this is to assume y = e^mx, and, once complex roots a +/- bi are obtained for m, assume the solution y = A e^ax cos(bx) + B e^ax cos(bx).
However, as tim_lou stated among others, the Laplace transform may prove helpful in this case-- especially if your initial conditions are given.
I don't see any reason to go ahead and do a series solution.

The series solution is slower but it should still work. I tried it and seemed to be stuck. Look at post 3.

pivoxa15 said:
i.e. for odd n, Cn should have a with a fractional power like n+.5 or a^(n+.5) but I can only see a^n in Cn for all n.

Write each [itex]c_n[/itex] as

[tex]\frac{c_1}{a^{\frac{1}{2}}}[/tex]

multiplied by something.

George Jones said:
Write each [itex]c_n[/itex] as

[tex]\frac{c_1}{a^{\frac{1}{2}}}[/tex]

multiplied by something.

But ideally there should be something that forces me to write it in the way you suggested while only doing the series method. RIght now, the only reasoning I have writing it out that way is because I knew what the solution should be using another method before hand.

Last edited:
Is it the "a" that is causing the problem then? Are you able to convert the infinite series to sine and cosine with a= 0?
You recursion relation is [itex]C_{n+2}= (-a/(n+2)(n+1)) a_n[/itex]. What do you get as the "closed form" for [itex]C_n[/itex]? Did you actually calculate the first three or four terms?

For given [itex]C_0[/itex] and [itex]C_1[/itex] you should get [itex]C_2= (-a/2)C_0[/itex], [itex]C_3= -(a/6)C_1[/itex], [itex]C_4= -(a/12)C_2= (a^2/24)C_0[/itex], [itex]C_5= -(a/20)C_3= -(a^2/120) C_5.

You should be able to recognize the denominator of [itex]C_n[/itex] as n! but then you are alternating between [itex]C_0[/itex] and [itex]C_1[/itex]. Do you notice that you will always get [itex]C_0[/itex] in the terms with x to an even power and [itex]C_1[/itex] in the terms with x to an odd power? It would make sense to separate the two so that you have one series with even powers only, multiplied by [itex]C_0[/itex] and one series with odd powers only, multiplied by [itex]C_1[/itex], wouldn't it? Now compare the powers of a and x in each of those terms.

HallsofIvy said:
Is it the "a" that is causing the problem then? Are you able to convert the infinite series to sine and cosine with a= 0?
You recursion relation is [itex]C_{n+2}= (-a/(n+2)(n+1)) a_n[/itex]. What do you get as the "closed form" for [itex]C_n[/itex]? Did you actually calculate the first three or four terms?

For given [itex]C_0[/itex] and [itex]C_1[/itex] you should get [itex]C_2= (-a/2)C_0[/itex], [itex]C_3= -(a/6)C_1[/itex], [itex]C_4= -(a/12)C_2= (a^2/24)C_0[/itex], [itex]C_5= -(a/20)C_3= -(a^2/120) C_5.

You should be able to recognize the denominator of [itex]C_n[/itex] as n! but then you are alternating between [itex]C_0[/itex] and [itex]C_1[/itex]. Do you notice that you will always get [itex]C_0[/itex] in the terms with x to an even power and [itex]C_1[/itex] in the terms with x to an odd power? It would make sense to separate the two so that you have one series with even powers only, multiplied by [itex]C_0[/itex] and one series with odd powers only, multiplied by [itex]C_1[/itex], wouldn't it? Now compare the powers of a and x in each of those terms.
I see what you mean. I did separate the series into even and odd powers of x. For both x^(2n) and x^(2n+1), the coefficient is always a^n. With constant C0 and C1 respectively in the two separated series. I guess you could let C1=B/a^.5, B arbitary so that there is an extra a^.5 in the numerator of the odd powers of x hence a^(n+.5)x^(2n+1) = (a^.5 * x)^(2n+1) which is what is recquired to let sin(a^(.5)x) represent the series with odd powers of x. Which is what George Jones suggested.

lol...:rofl: I completely misunderstood your question. I thought it was like a game where we try to figure out as many ways as possible to solve that linear ODE...

It was originally meant to be something like that but when I actually tried to solve y''+ay=0 using the series method I got some difficulties. Things didn't turn out to be as smooth as expected. I had to 'shift a constant' or do a change of constants in the coefficients of odd powers of x in order to get it to match a sin function.

1. What are the different methods used to solve y in y' + y = 0?

There are several methods that can be used to solve y in y' + y = 0, including the series method, the substitution method, and the reduction of order method.

2. How does the series method work?

The series method involves representing the unknown function y as a series expansion and then solving for the coefficients using the given differential equation.

3. Can the substitution method be used for all differential equations of the form y' + y = 0?

No, the substitution method is only applicable for certain types of differential equations, such as those with a constant coefficient.

4. What is the reduction of order method?

The reduction of order method involves transforming a higher-order differential equation into a first-order equation by substituting a new variable, and then solving for the unknown function y.

5. Are there any other methods for solving y in y' + y = 0?

Yes, other methods include the Laplace transform method and the power series method. However, the series method is often the most straightforward and commonly used method for solving this type of differential equation.