[yahoo] Music industry 'nails UK pirates'

In summary, more than 20 UK internet users have paid a total of £50,000 out of court for illegally sharing songs on the web. The discussion also raises concerns about the fairness of the amount being paid compared to the actual damages caused, and the possibility of the RIAA stopping their lawsuits. There is also a debate about the rationality of illegally downloading music if the probability of getting caught is low. Additionally, the conversation brings up the potential consequences, such as jail time, for those who engage in illegal downloading.
More than 20 UK internet users pay a total of £50,000 out of court for illegally sharing songs on the web.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/click/rss/0.91/public/-/1/hi/entertainment/music/4318765.stm"

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
It just doesn't make sense that people are forced to pay more money than the damages that they caused. But I think the RIAA is going to stop suing people.

RiseAgainst said:
It just doesn't make sense that people are forced to pay more money than the damages that they caused.

Now I hate the RIAA as much as anyone, but I have to disagree. If the probability of being caught is less than 100%, and the worst-case payment is equal to the total price of the products taken, then taking products is always the dominant strategy vs. buying. If the worst-case payment is twice as much, taking products is only rational if the probability of being caught is less than 0.5 (assuming risk neutrality). Extrapolate as needed.

CRGreathouse said:
Now I hate the RIAA as much as anyone, but I have to disagree. If the probability of being caught is less than 100%, and the worst-case payment is equal to the total price of the products taken, then taking products is always the dominant strategy vs. buying. If the worst-case payment is twice as much, taking products is only rational if the probability of being caught is less than 0.5 (assuming risk neutrality). Extrapolate as needed.

But if you download one song illegally that costs $.99 on some website you could still be sued for thousands of dollars when you really stole something that costs $.99.

true but there is also court costs and then 99.9999% of the time people don't stop at downloading one song

I wonder if anyone got jail time for this.

I wouldn't be surprised if they did

1. What is the "nails UK pirates" initiative in the music industry?

The "nails UK pirates" initiative is a campaign launched by Yahoo in partnership with major record labels to crack down on piracy in the UK music industry. It involves identifying and targeting individuals or groups who illegally share and distribute copyrighted music on the internet.

2. How does the "nails UK pirates" initiative work?

The initiative works by using advanced technology and software to track and monitor illegal downloads and uploads of copyrighted music. Once a pirate is identified, they may receive a warning or legal action may be taken against them, depending on the severity of the offense.

3. What is the goal of the "nails UK pirates" initiative?

The goal of the initiative is to reduce and deter piracy in the UK music industry, ultimately protecting the rights and revenues of artists and record labels. By targeting and punishing pirates, it aims to create a more fair and sustainable music industry for all stakeholders.

4. Is the "nails UK pirates" initiative effective?

It is difficult to determine the effectiveness of the initiative as it is still relatively new. However, the use of technology and cooperation between Yahoo and record labels is a promising approach to combating piracy in the music industry.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to the "nails UK pirates" initiative?

Some critics argue that the initiative may be too aggressive and could potentially harm innocent individuals who may unknowingly download copyrighted music. There are also concerns about privacy and the use of personal data in the process of identifying and targeting pirates.