Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

[yahoo] Music industry 'nails UK pirates'

1. Mar 5, 2005 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2009 #2
    It just doesn't make sense that people are forced to pay more money than the damages that they caused. But I think the RIAA is going to stop suing people.
  4. Jan 11, 2009 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Now I hate the RIAA as much as anyone, but I have to disagree. If the probability of being caught is less than 100%, and the worst-case payment is equal to the total price of the products taken, then taking products is always the dominant strategy vs. buying. If the worst-case payment is twice as much, taking products is only rational if the probability of being caught is less than 0.5 (assuming risk neutrality). Extrapolate as needed.
  5. Jan 11, 2009 #4
    But if you download one song illegally that costs $.99 on some website you could still be sued for thousands of dollars when you really stole something that costs $.99.
  6. Jan 17, 2009 #5
    true but there is also court costs and then 99.9999% of the time people don't stop at downloading one song
  7. Mar 15, 2009 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I wonder if anyone got jail time for this.
  8. Mar 16, 2009 #7
    I wouldn't be surprised if they did
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?