Yahoo & IE: Investigating Processor Usage

• Thread starter Andre
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Processor
In summary, The speaker prefers using Internet Explorer (9) as their main browser and Chrome as a secondary browser due to past compatibility issues with Yahoo and Gmail. They found that Yahoo in IE caused high processor activity while Yahoo in Chrome did not. They are now considering switching completely to Chrome and questioning the reason for Yahoo causing high activity in IE.
Andre
So probably from experience and convenience I use IE (9 now) as main browser and secondary Chrome. This came from the time that Yahoo seemed not compatible with Chrome and gmail is still very uncompatible with IE for me. It doesn't work - but that's not the issue now.

I also found that it as Yahoo that tried to saturate the processor in IE as can be seen in these screenshot (only one window IE active and one window paint for collecting the screen shots).

Starting up Yahoo and putting in password, selecting mail:

dy395l.jpg

Steady state yahoo mail on, idle, no actions (notice the second branch of the processor).

r013lu.jpg

Terminating yahoo,

1jxllk.jpg

So then I tried yahoo in google chrome, where it had not worked properly before and the processor worked fine, going back to idle when nothing happened.

So that means that the simple solution is to forget about IE and switch 100% to chrome, but my question is what is Yahoo doing in IE with that second branch? Stealing processor time for unknown purposes?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Bump

Anybody any idea why yahoo in IE sends the second core into high activity. Nothing else does this.

Is yahoo flash based?

1. What is the purpose of investigating processor usage for Yahoo and Internet Explorer?

The purpose of this investigation is to analyze the amount of processing power that is being used by Yahoo and Internet Explorer. This can help identify any potential performance issues and improve the overall user experience.

2. How is processor usage measured?

Processor usage is measured by monitoring the amount of CPU (central processing unit) time that is being used by a specific program or application. This is typically done through task manager or performance monitoring tools.

3. What are the potential consequences of high processor usage for Yahoo and Internet Explorer?

High processor usage can lead to slow loading times, lagging performance, and potential crashes for Yahoo and Internet Explorer. It can also affect the overall functioning of the computer and other applications running simultaneously.

4. Are there any factors that can contribute to high processor usage for Yahoo and Internet Explorer?

There are several factors that can contribute to high processor usage for Yahoo and Internet Explorer, such as having multiple tabs open, using outdated or buggy versions of the software, or having too many add-ons or extensions installed.

5. How can the findings from this investigation be used to improve the performance of Yahoo and Internet Explorer?

The findings from this investigation can be used to identify any potential issues and make necessary adjustments to improve the performance of Yahoo and Internet Explorer. This may include updating the software, optimizing settings, or removing unnecessary add-ons or extensions.