1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Yang baxter equation question

1. Oct 27, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

show that the following matrix satisfies the Yang-Baxter equation

2. Relevant equations

[itex]R(u) = (1 - u) (E^1_1 \otimes E^1_1 + E^2_2 \otimes E^2_2) - u (E^1_1 \otimes E^2_2 + E^2_2 \otimes E^1_1) + E^1_2 \otimes E^2_1 + E^2_1 \otimes E^1_2[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

the yang-baxter equation is:
    [itex]R_{12} R_{13} R_{23} = R_{23} R_{13} R_{12}[/itex]
    where [itex]R = a_i \otimes b_i[/itex]
    and [itex]R_{12} = a_i \otimes b_i \otimes I, R_{13} = a_i \otimes I \otimes b_i, R_{23} = \otimes I \otimes a_i \otimes b_i[/itex]
    and [itex]E^i_j[/itex] are the usual 2 x 2 elementary matrices

i really don't know how to start this question. do i have to somehow represent R(u) in the form [itex]a_i \otimes b_i[/itex]? i also read somewhere (not in our notes) that [itex]R_{12}[/itex] is a function of u, [itex]R_{13}[/itex] is a function of (u + v) and [itex]R_{23}[/itex] is a function of (v)...is this correct and does it matter for this question?
    before i realised that [itex]\otimes[/itex] was the tensor product and not just the matrix multiplication operation, I simplified R(u) right down to [itex]R(u) = (2-u) I[/itex] by expanding the matrices...does this help in any way?
    someone please help!!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?