1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Yang Mills Fields from Isometries

1. Jun 6, 2015 #1

BVM

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am going through the book "Symmetries in Fundamental Physics" by Kurt Sundermeyer and in his part on deriving Yang-Mills theories from a Kaluza-Klein perspective I seem to be stuck on a small step in the derivation.

2. Relevant equations
    He expands the metric in a typical Kaluza-Klein-like style
    ## \begin{cases}
    &\hat{g}^{0}_{\mu \nu} (x) = W(\phi) g_{\mu \nu} + f(\phi)h_{\iota \kappa} \mathcal{B}^{\iota}_{\mu}\mathcal{B}^{\kappa}_{\nu}\\
    &\hat{g}^{0}_{\mu \kappa} (x) = f(\phi) h_{\iota \kappa}\mathcal{B}^{\iota}_{\mu}\\
    &\hat{g}^{0}_{\iota \kappa} (x) = f(\phi)h_{\iota \kappa}
    \end{cases}##
    and derives from it that under diffeomorphism, the B-field should transform as
    ##\mathcal{B}'^{\iota}_{\mu} = \frac{\partial x^{\nu}}{\partial x'^{\mu}}\left( \frac{\partial \theta'^{\iota}}{\partial \theta^{\kappa}} \mathcal{B}^{\kappa}_{\nu} - \frac{\partial \theta'^{\iota}}{\partial x^{\nu}} \right).##
    Now, by considering the isometries infinitesimally
    ##\theta'^{\iota} = \theta^{\iota} + \epsilon^a(x)K^{\iota}_a(\theta)##
    and expanding the B-fields in terms of the Killing vectors
    ##\mathcal{B}^{\iota}_{\mu} = g K^{\iota}_{a} \mathcal{A}^{a}_{\mu}##
    he gets
    ##g K^{\iota}_{d} \mathcal{A}^{d}_{\mu} = (\delta^{\iota}_{\kappa} + \epsilon^a \partial_{\kappa}K^{\iota}_a) g K^{\kappa}_{b} \mathcal{A}^{b}_{\mu} - K^{\iota}_{a}\partial_{\mu}\epsilon^a.##

This i can follow, but now he claims that via
    ##K^{\kappa}_{a} \partial_{\kappa} K^{\iota}_{b} - K^{\kappa}_{b} \partial_{\kappa} K^{\iota}_{a} = f_{abc} K^{\iota}_{c}##
    he can get
    ##\mathcal{A}'^{a}_{\mu} = \mathcal{A}^{a}_{\mu} + \frac{1}{g}f^{bca}\mathcal{A}^b_{\mu}\epsilon^c - \frac{1}{g} \partial_{\mu}\epsilon^a.##

3. The attempt at a solution
    By just plugging in the relation I can get as far as
    ##\mathcal{A}'^{a}_{\mu} = \mathcal{A}^{a}_{\mu} + f^{bca}\mathcal{A}^b_{\mu}\epsilon^c + \epsilon^c(K^{\iota}_a)^{-1}K^{\kappa}_{c}(\partial_{\kappa} K^{\iota}_b)\mathcal{A}^b_{\mu} - \frac{1}{g} \partial_{\mu}\epsilon^a##
    but I don't see how the extra term cancels or how the ##\frac{1}{g}## appears in the second term.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2015 #2

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Performing the contraction, we find

$$ \epsilon^c(K^{\iota}_a)^{-1}K^{\kappa}_{c}(\partial_{\kappa} K^{\iota}_b)\mathcal{A}^b_{\mu} = \epsilon^a(\partial_{\kappa} K^{\kappa}_b)\mathcal{A}^b_{\mu},$$

but the divergence of a Killing vector vanishes, so this is zero.

4. Jun 8, 2015 #3

BVM

Oh my god how did I miss this.

Thanks a lot!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted