Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Yanny vs Laurel Madness

1. May 17, 2018 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2018 #2

Intrastellar

Gold Member

Now that this meme has seen such a tremendous spread, its discoverer can finally rest on their Yannys.

4. May 18, 2018 #3
    I have no idea how someone can year "yanny." I got "laurel" all the time.

5. May 18, 2018 #4

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

6. May 18, 2018 #5
    I've been seeing this Laurel vs. Yanny stuff for the last day or so, but not knowing what it was about. After listening to the original audio (I hear Laurel) found another pair of clips which might point toward an explanation. Don't go into the spoiler until having listened to the original.

Pitch-varied version #1.
    In this clip, when pitch is lowered I no longer hear 'Laurel', but rather 'Jerry'.

Version #2 (now I hear 'Yanny') offers a reasonable explanation behind the phenomena.

It has me wondering whether individual variations in pitch recognition doesn't also play a role. My perception of relative pitch is reasonably acute (2 to 3 cents), but have lousy absolute pitch, while some people are nearly tone deaf and a difference of 50 cents doesn't phase them.

7. May 18, 2018 #6
    It's interesting...I now know the cause.

8. May 18, 2018 #7

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

I don't see how anyone can possibly confuse Yanni and Laurel:

9. May 18, 2018 #8

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

I have to go to the penultimate tick to hear something else than Laurel, and it then sounds more like "yally" than "Yanny."

10. May 18, 2018 #9

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

For me the critical position is half a click left of centre. What's surprising is how precise the critical position is. There is only a narrow band where I hear both, as if two people are speaking.

11. May 18, 2018 #10

phinds

Gold Member

Yeah, me too except that my "double speech" spot is just to the right of center. I got even more weird results though. In the middle I heart Laurel, clearly. As I moved the slide to the right I immediately started hearing Yanni. Then as I moved it back, I heard Laurel in position where I had at first heard Yanni. This is all very weird.

12. May 18, 2018 #11

Ryan_m_b

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I didn't hear Yanny until I'd cranked the slider almost all the way to the right but had the same thing where moving it back caused that perception to stick for a good chunk of the slider.

13. May 18, 2018 #12

DavidSnider

Gold Member

I can selectively hear either one without changing the slider by choosing which one I want to hear. Like those 'double picture' optical illusions.

14. May 23, 2018 #13
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted