Yaw Control Dynamics for VAWT Turbines

In summary, the conversation is about creating an algorithm for a yaw control system for a VAWT turbine at a university. The algorithm should allow for maximum yaw speed without causing excessive forces on key structures. The speaker is struggling to develop an equation for this as their dynamics course did not cover it. Through research, they found an equation involving angular momentum, but they are unsure how to apply it. The equation they have developed involves a moment acting on the turbine and tilting the nacelle, but they are unsure about the resisting torque when attempting to yaw the turbine.
CloDawg
Im building a yaw control system for one of the universitys VAWT turbines.

Basically I am struggling to get an equation described below:

there should be an algorithm such that the system should try to yaw the turbine as fast as possible, but without causing too high forces on any key structure, i.e. need to determine a max yaw speed as a function of rotor rpm, based on allowable loads (moments etc.) on support components.

I don't have a clue how to create this algorithm. I have developed an equation for wind shear force against the tower, but i don't know how to relate it to rpm since this is the wind speed and has nothing to do with the yaw rate??. Where will the weak points be.

The gyroscopic precession affects the turbine while its yawing. But i don't no where or how to develop an equation (my dynamics course didn't cover it)

through research the only available equation is this:

M=mgL=ω×JΩ

(http://books.google.com/books?id=ro...gyroscope about an axis perpendicular&f=false) P164

I don't no how to relate or apply this. help:?

Physics news on Phys.org
M=mgL=ω×JΩ

where JΩ is angular momentum.

This is the equation i get when modeling a wind turbine as a suspended spinning bicycle wheel. This means that a moment will act on the turbine, tilting the nacelle either up or down.

But what about the resisting torque when one attempts to yaw the turbine by applying a ω through a yaw motor. This equation doesn't help me right, since I am applying a ω and the JΩ stays the same. so there should be a torque generated somehow resisting the yaw?

1. What is yaw control in VAWT turbines?

Yaw control refers to the ability of a VAWT (Vertical Axis Wind Turbine) to change its direction in response to changes in wind direction. This is achieved through a mechanism that allows the turbine to rotate around its vertical axis.

2. Why is yaw control important for VAWT turbines?

Yaw control is important for VAWT turbines because it allows the turbine to capture the maximum amount of wind energy. By adjusting its direction to face the wind, the turbine can maintain its optimal angle of attack and generate more electricity.

3. How does yaw control affect the performance of VAWT turbines?

Yaw control plays a crucial role in improving the performance of VAWT turbines. By adjusting its direction to face the wind, the turbine can maximize its energy capture and generate more electricity. Yaw control also helps to reduce stress and strain on the turbine, leading to improved durability and longevity.

4. What factors influence the yaw control dynamics of VAWT turbines?

The yaw control dynamics of VAWT turbines are influenced by several factors, including wind speed, wind direction, turbine design, and control system. The size and shape of the turbine blades, as well as the orientation of the turbine on the vertical axis, can also affect the yaw control dynamics.

5. How can yaw control be optimized for VAWT turbines?

Yaw control can be optimized for VAWT turbines by using advanced control systems that can accurately sense wind direction and adjust the turbine's direction accordingly. Additionally, proper design and placement of the turbine, as well as regular maintenance, can help to improve the yaw control dynamics and overall performance of the VAWT turbine.