Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Yay or nay on this group

1. May 28, 2005 #1

Pengwuino

Gold Member

http://www.nrdc.org/

Im skeptical... so i put this in skeptical forum :D

2. jcsd
  3. May 28, 2005 #2

JamesU

Gold Member

Os this one of those groups of gay people that think others are going to help save the rainforest. I'm tired of them :rolleyes: :uhh:

4. May 28, 2005 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

lol take a look at their "reports"

5. May 28, 2005 #4

JamesU

Gold Member

6. May 28, 2005 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Could you be a little more specific about what bothers you? At a glance they appear to be credible.

http://www.nrdc.org/about/experts.asp

They claim to be rated as a four star charity.

7. May 28, 2005 #6

JamesU

Gold Member

Can we do anything to stop global warming? this is pretty dumb to me. They're telling very basic information, like you would to a child. And talking about changing all the power plants to solar energy. which would cause millions to lose their jobs

8. May 28, 2005 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, if you don't agree with their position then of course you wouldn't want to donate. But that doesn't imply that anything is wrong with the organization. I guess their site might be considered a sales pitch for the environmentalist's position, but that appears to be consistent with a what they claim to be.

9. May 28, 2005 #8

JamesU

Gold Member

I'm just saying their reports sound stupid

10. May 28, 2005 #9
    No one is going to be able to stand up against this incisive, penetrating insight you present. Let's all go home.

11. May 28, 2005 #10

Pengwuino

Gold Member

There so called "facts" bother me.

12. May 29, 2005 #11
    I read the Toxic Chemicals section, and found there sources and facts to be reasonable. I did half to Google some of there sources, so it would of been nice for them to post links.
    I wasn't overly impressed with the site, due to the underlying political agenda.

13. May 29, 2005 #12

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Well, it's an activist group, and you always have to ask, how much of the money you give them goes to activism, and how much is just income to the folks that founded and run the group. "Pie card artists" the old unionists used to call such folks; people for whom the union card was just a source of income.

Like other posters on this thread, I can't put my finger on why I think these folks are pie card artists, but I do. Something about the style with which they report their activism, like they're always in there selling.

14. May 29, 2005 #13

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's so hard to tell these days. We used to contribute to a local charity, in Portland, but every time we did we were inundated with phone calls and solicitations for other charities. So finally I told the mission that we would only donate anonymously, at which point they refused the donation. I was never sure if this was due to legal concerns, or if perhaps they actually make more money than by donations, by selling the names to other charities. But in either case, they did seem to be selling the information to many other charities. Yet they are known to be an excellent organization. :grumpy:

Last edited: May 29, 2005
  15. May 29, 2005 #14

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Yah what the hell is with that. My aunt gave to a charity once and she said she got bombarded by phone calls asking for money soon after. What kind of world is this where you have to consider the pros and cons of even donating money to charity.

Im getting bombarded with home mortgage and other crap because i got a new phone line in my house. I feel like getting an auto-dialer and getting all these companies names nad just flooding them with calls.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?