Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Yeah but how often?

1. Every day

16 vote(s)
  2. Pretty much every second day

7 vote(s)
  3. Every few days

3 vote(s)
  4. Every several days or more

4 vote(s)
  1. Mar 23, 2008 #1

Gold Member

OK, so you only apply it once, but how often do you do it?
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2008 #2
    I try to every 3rd day, usually ends up being once a week, though.
  4. Mar 23, 2008 #3
    Every other day when my hair is short, every day when it's a bit longer.
  5. Mar 24, 2008 #4
    I shampoo everytime I shower. How often I shower.. sometimes once a day or every two days.
  6. Mar 24, 2008 #5
    While I shower everyday, I only shampoo every other day.
  7. Mar 24, 2008 #6
    About once a week. That's why I have very healthy hair, it may not shine like in the adverts but at least it isn't damaged by washing it every day.

Did you know that in the UK & US bathing/showering daily is the norm, but on the continent it varies from once a day to once a week or more. :smile: And I'm not just using the old cliché, that be true.
  8. Mar 24, 2008 #7

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Definitely every day, sometimes more. If I skip a day, it looks flat and greasy and just nasty...some people I encounter could stand to wash their hair more often as well. :yuck:

Having long hair, it has a tendency to pick up odors around me, so even if I showered in the morning, if it spend the day at the farm or in the gross anatomy lab, I need to wash it again at the end of the day, so sometimes wash hair twice a day. I try not to do that, because it starts to dry it out. If I need to, I will use a good conditioner (I don't always use conditioner...depends on the shampoo I use, some dry out my hair more than others).

I really have never noticed any damage from washing, even washing often. It's the blow-drying that damages hair, so I usually let my hair air dry.
  9. Mar 24, 2008 #8

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

How can people only wash their hair once a week? eww! I was my hair every time I shower, which is normally at least once a day.
  10. Mar 24, 2008 #9

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Daily. The only exceptions are when I'm sick or camping.
  11. Mar 24, 2008 #10
    I bathe, washing my hair is optional, ever heard of a shower cap as well?

I bet my hair is 5 times healthier than anyone who washes it every day.
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2008
  12. Mar 24, 2008 #11

Gold Member

If I miss a day washing my hair, it starts feeling yucky by midday. It hangs and touches my face and I'm aware of it all day.

I've been told though, that one of the reasons why this happens is because by washing it everyday I've hyperstimulated it to replenish the very oils I'm stripping away. The theory goes that if I shampooed it less often, it wouldn't get oily as fast as it does now.
  13. Mar 24, 2008 #12
    That's true I should know, and my hairs shoulder length.
  14. Mar 24, 2008 #13

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Definitely everyday. I hate it when my hear is greasy.
  15. Mar 24, 2008 #14
    I use bar soap...
  16. Mar 24, 2008 #15
    Never... I shave my head and use soap as well =)
  17. Mar 24, 2008 #16

Staff: Mentor

Work out 7 days a week, so I shower and shampoo the same amount. Swim, bike, run, motocross, Repeat!
  18. Mar 24, 2008 #17

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, that's a solution to the problem of dirty hair, I guess. I enjoy having hair, though. So, I doubt it'd work for me.

(Now that I said that, I'm going to go bald, aren't I?)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?