Save Money & Time: Drive Your Vehicle, Not Idle!

In summary, the conversation is about the effectiveness of idling a vehicle in cold weather to warm up the engine. Some believe that idling for 30 seconds is enough, while others argue that it takes longer for the engine to properly heat up. Some also mention the potential damage of driving with a cold engine and recommend driving gently until the engine reaches a certain temperature. The discussion also touches on the issue of needing heat in the car and how that affects idling time. Overall, the general consensus is that idling for a short amount of time is sufficient, but it is important to drive carefully until the engine is fully warmed up.
Cyrus
I got this in my school FYI email:

Idling is not an effective way to warm up your vehicle, even in cold weather. The best way to do this is to drive the vehicle. With today's modern engines, you need no more than 30 seconds of idling on winter days before driving away. In fact, idling an engine for two minutes uses about the same amount of fuel it takes to go about one mile. So, you can save money, emissions, and time if you just get in and go!

I think my engine and transmission oil needs more time than that to heat up and work properly. Also, suddenly driving off with a cold engine block is a good way to develop cracks in the cylinder walls - which is why you don't just pull the throttle all the way out on an airplane. You gradually reduce it back to idle.

Brewski, give me your expert advice.

Physics news on Phys.org
Warming up the engine block will take a lot longer than 2 minutes if you're just idling, it is quiet a lot of metal. Also the difference between idling and driving of carefully is not that big. I don't idle but drive gently in the first 10 minutes and haven't ever experienced any cracked cylinder walls, despite some less gently driving after 10 minutes passed.

30 seconds doesn't seem like a long enough time. A guy I know fixes cars for a living, and since the weather turned bitter up here (-20s at night) they've seen an influx if cars with power steering problems caused by, in his opinion, not letting the car warm up long enough. Same thing happened to me last winter.

30 seconds is just about long enough to run the engine oil through the system, I guess. My owner's manual (Honda Accord) suggested something along the lines of waiting 20-30s, and drive "gently" for the first 5 minutes, if I recall correctly. That's what I've always done.

I've had this car for 6 years (in the mid-west and NE), and never once idled for a minute before taking off. So far, not a single problem with the engine, and I still get over 30mpg from a car with 160K miles on it.

Gokul43201 said:
30 seconds is just about long enough to run the engine oil through the system, I guess. My owner's manual (Honda Accord) suggested something along the lines of waiting 20-30s, and drive "gently" for the first 5 minutes, if I recall correctly. That's what I've always done.

The problem that we have is that our driveway is fairly steep and long, so there is no way to avoid loading the engine.

I've had this car for 6 years (in the mid-west and NE), and never once idled for a minute before taking off. So far, not a single problem with the engine, and I still get over 30mpg from a car with 160K miles on it.

The real test is whether you get 180k or 300k out of a Honda.

With a push-rod type engine, I always let the engine idle until the lifters are pumped up (tapping noise stops), then drive away gently. Never any problems, and my cars routinely last 200K miles or so, though the road-salt eats up the bodies before I can wear them out mechanically, so I'll never know what the engine/transmission will last. I sold my last Pathfinder (lightly used) at the age of 17 years with about 190K on the odometer. The buyer did extensive body work, and two years later, he was still driving it.

If you have a modern engine management system it will do this for you.
My subaru annoyingly revs to about 3500 for a couple of seconds about 10secs after I start if it is idling - I think it is monitoring the NOx in the exhaust and trying to get the combustion up to temperature.
Trouble is this is just when I'm under my neighbors window - she thinks I'm doing it to annoy her!

My auto manual also says not to idle more then a minute. But I need heat, so I warm it up just a tad, say 5 minutes. Just so my heater is kicking out a bit of warmth.

I would say it is more about the ability of the oil to do it's job. A cold engine always wears more than a warm one. I lean towards letting it warm up at an idle.

Ha, my "expert advice" would be that 30 seconds is more than adequate. I get in and drive away, unless the car needs de-icing (in which case I let the engine run, with all the lights and demisters on, and that's more to try and get heat into the cockpit!).

However, you should then drive the car gently (avoid full throttle, and limit your revs) until the water is showing a reasonable temperature. I wait until the water temperature is at around 60°C before giving it stick, and 80°C before thrashing it.

Far more damage is done by thrashing a cold engine than by not idling an engine at all, and then driving normally.

The car I have at the moment never gets warm if you only let it idle, it has to be driven to get any heat into the thing. While it's idling away after starting, the oil is cold, the oil pressure is low, and it's constantly wearing away bits of metal.

Ivan, unless you blat up your drive at 70mph, I wouldn't worry about loading the engine excessively before it's warm.

brewnog said:
Ivan, unless you blat up your drive at 70mph, I wouldn't worry about loading the engine excessively before it's warm.

In that case I'm probably okay... but Tsu is another story... esp with her V6 Solara. :grumpy:

hypatia said:
But I need heat...
Yes! That's my reason too! :biggrin:

So, you can save money, emissions, and time if you just get in and go!
Doesn't seem they are worried about your saving your engine. Maybe you should reply and ask if they are willing to repair your engine when it dies.

dlgoff said:
Doesn't seem they are worried about your saving your engine. Maybe you should reply and ask if they are willing to repair your engine when it dies.
From what folks are saying so far, it seems you don't do much harm to your engine.

Clearly you save time, but I doubt you save much money or emissions. I would imagine you'd get a significantly lower mileage over the first few miles driven with a cold engine (compared to when it's warmed up). But that's just a guess - I have no idea what the numbers would be.

I think air cooled engines (aircraft) are a different kettle of fish, fast heating and cooling can cause cracks, look to the vw engine, finding a twin port head with no cracks is a rarity.

wolram said:
I think air cooled engines (aircraft) are a different kettle of fish, fast heating and cooling can cause cracks, look to the vw engine, finding a twin port head with no cracks is a rarity.
Part of that syndrome may be due to the fact that the VW bug with the weight over the driven wheels was great in snow, and was abused in some pretty severe climates.

turbo-1 said:
Part of that syndrome may be due to the fact that the VW bug with the weight over the driven wheels was great in snow, and was abused in some pretty severe climates.

I have rebuilt hundreds of these engines, the only time i have come across one without cracks in the cylinder heads, the owners have allowed the engine to warm up and cool down slowly, plus i would not guarantee the engine unless the heads were re torqued, i used to run an engine for an hour and re torqued the heads, it was up to the owner to get them re done before 500 miles.

The most I've ever waited to start driving my car is about 3 seconds. I drive hard too.

I have to wait 2 to 3 minutes before I start riding my scooter though, and I have to wait 2 to 3 minutes before killing the engine too.

JasonRox said:
The most I've ever waited to start driving my car is about 3 seconds. I drive hard too.

I have to wait 2 to 3 minutes before I start riding my scooter though, and I have to wait 2 to 3 minutes before killing the engine too.

Note to self: Don't buy used cars from Jason.

Cyrus said:
Note to self: Don't buy used cars from Jason.

Go to this guy [profanity]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTvwwDnrQL8

:rofl: Did this actually go on tv?

Cyrus said:
:rofl: Did this actually go on tv?

Back in those days, those spots were usually live, so I would imagine that it did.

Conversely, I'm always careful to let me engine cool down sufficiently before turning it off. If the turbo is still spinning at any great rate when the engine is killed, oil pressure disappears and the bearings get scuffed. Also, if the oil and running components haven't had chance to cool, the oil can get 'baked' on, causing nasty deposits and sometimes even blocking oilways.

How would you define "sufficiently" for non-turbo engines?

Ivan Seeking said:
How would you define "sufficiently" for non-turbo engines?

If you have an oil temperature gauge, I'd wait until that's settled to with 5-10 degrees of the water temperature. If not, just don't switch it off if you've just pulled off the motorway, give it 5 minutes of gentle (around town) driving or idling before switching off.

1. How does driving instead of idling save money?

When a vehicle is idling, it is still using fuel but not moving, which leads to wasted gas. By driving instead, the vehicle is actually using the fuel for its intended purpose and not idling, therefore saving money on gas expenses.

2. Does driving instead of idling save time?

Yes, driving instead of idling can save time. Idling in traffic or at a drive-thru can add up and waste valuable time. By driving instead, you are actively moving towards your destination and can save time on your commute or errands.

3. Is it better for the environment to drive instead of idle?

Yes, driving instead of idling can have a positive impact on the environment. Idling releases emissions into the air, contributing to air pollution and climate change. By driving instead, you are reducing the amount of emissions released into the air.

4. Are there any other benefits to driving instead of idling?

In addition to saving money, time, and being better for the environment, driving instead of idling can also be better for your vehicle. Idling for extended periods of time can cause wear and tear on the engine and other components, whereas driving can help keep the car in good working condition.

5. How can I remember to drive instead of idle?

One way to remember to drive instead of idle is to set a reminder or alarm on your phone. You can also make a conscious effort to turn off your engine when you know you will be stopped for more than 10 seconds. Additionally, you can plan your errands or commute to minimize idling time.