Examining Terminal Velocity & Its Impact on Gyrocopter Descent

In summary, the conversation discusses a literature review due in two days about identifying the variables involved in an experiment with two paper gyrocopters, one slightly bigger than the other, being dropped at different heights. The main factor being looked at is terminal velocity and the question of relevant concepts and principles is raised. The person also needs to come up with 5-7 questions to solve the problem, as well as determining the factors and variables involved and the properties that remain constant. They also ask about the inputs that vary between each set of measurements.
delicate_tear
So I have this literature review which is due in like two days about identifying the variables involved in my experiment which involves the descent of two paper gyrocopters- where one was slightly bigger than the other. I am identifying terminal velocity as a factor which affects the descent of the gyrocopter.

So my questions are:

What are the relevant concepts and principles involved?- is it terminal velocity and how it affects the gyrocopter's descent?
I have to come up with 5-7 questions, to solve the problem identified- assuming it's the terminal velocity we're after. What questions can I have?

Please help me and give you lots of hugs back!:rofl:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
delicate_tear said:
So I have this literature review which is due in like two days about identifying the variables involved in my experiment which involves the descent of two paper gyrocopters- where one was slightly bigger than the other. I am identifying terminal velocity as a factor which affects the descent of the gyrocopter.

So my questions are:

What are the relevant concepts and principles involved?- is it terminal velocity and how it affects the gyrocopter's descent?
I have to come up with 5-7 questions, to solve the problem identified- assuming it's the terminal velocity we're after. What questions can I have?

Please help me and give you lots of hugs back!:rofl:

OKAY, NO. I should have explained it clearer. I had to use two different sized(one was slightly bigger than the other) paper gyrocopters. Dropped them both at 3m and 6m high each. Then I recorded their results.

So here I got this: height, mass, air resistance and terminal velocity.

WHICH ONES are the factors and which one are the variables?

Last edited by a moderator:
What properties are constant?

What inputs are varied or different between each set of measurements?

What is terminal velocity?

Terminal velocity is the maximum speed an object can reach when falling through a fluid, such as air. It occurs when the force of gravity is equal to the drag force of the fluid acting on the object, resulting in a constant and balanced acceleration.

How is terminal velocity affected by the mass of an object?

The mass of an object does not affect its terminal velocity. This is because the force of gravity is proportional to an object's mass, while the drag force is proportional to its surface area and velocity. Therefore, as an object falls and accelerates, the drag force also increases and eventually balances out the force of gravity, regardless of its mass.

What factors can impact the terminal velocity of a gyrocopter?

The terminal velocity of a gyrocopter can be impacted by various factors such as its mass, surface area, air density, and air temperature. Changes in any of these factors can affect the balance between the force of gravity and drag force, ultimately altering the terminal velocity of the gyrocopter.

How does terminal velocity affect the descent of a gyrocopter?

Terminal velocity plays a crucial role in the descent of a gyrocopter. Once the gyrocopter reaches its terminal velocity, the acceleration will stop, and it will continue to fall at a constant speed. This means that the gyrocopter's descent will be stable and predictable, making it easier for the pilot to control and land safely.

Why is it important to examine terminal velocity in relation to gyrocopter descent?

Examining terminal velocity in relation to gyrocopter descent is essential for understanding the behavior and limitations of these aircraft. It allows scientists and engineers to design and improve gyrocopters for safe and efficient flights, as well as providing important information for pilots to operate them safely. Additionally, studying terminal velocity can also help in other fields such as meteorology and aeronautical engineering.