Picking HSC Subjects: Should I Choose Physics?

• Thread starter Bryce123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, if you have a strong interest in physics and have a solid background in math, it is recommended to take HSC Physics. It may require some effort to grasp certain concepts, but it scales well and can open up opportunities for science courses in universities. Additionally, taking General Maths and HSC Physics together is also a viable option.
Bryce123
I am currently in the process of picking my subjects for the HSC, I want to pick physics but.don't know whether to pick it or not can some one please give me some advice thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
We can't give any reasonable advice without knowing more information. How much math do you have? What other sciences have you taken? What are your plans after secondary school? What are your other course options?

The only advice I can offer now is: If you want to take physics, and have background in trigonometry and algebra (and calculus if your physics course is calculus-based) then go for it. Wanting to learn physics is the best reason to take a physics course.

Bryce123 said:
I am currently in the process of picking my subjects for the HSC, I want to pick physics but.don't know whether to pick it or not can some one please give me some advice thank you.

HSC Physics is nothing like real world Physics and for the HSC it isn't particularly difficult. You may struggle with some concepts to start with but you should be able to grasp them with a little bit of effort.

You can do General Maths and do HSC Physics as the calculations are not hard at all. Real Physics starts turning up in Extension 2 Mathematics.

HSC physics! wow, memories...

It's not easy but it scales well. It's a pre-req for a lot of science courses at unis like USYD/UNSW/etc (i think, anyway. It could be that you need to do "at least two" sciences, but i seem to remember some stating physics).

A few of my friends did 2u physics and 4u maths and got really good UAIs because of it.

I highly recommend choosing physics as one of your subjects for the HSC. Physics is a fundamental science that explores the fundamental laws and principles that govern the universe. It is a subject that not only teaches you about the world around us, but also develops critical thinking, problem solving, and analytical skills that are highly valued in the scientific community.

Moreover, studying physics can open up a wide range of career opportunities in fields such as engineering, medicine, research, and technology. It also serves as a strong foundation for further studies in other sciences, including chemistry and biology.

I understand that choosing subjects for the HSC can be daunting, but I encourage you to consider your strengths and interests when making your decision. If you have a passion for understanding how the world works and enjoy applying mathematical concepts to real-world problems, then physics would be a great choice for you.

I also suggest speaking with your guidance counselor or a physics teacher for more personalized advice. They can provide you with more information about the course curriculum and help you determine if it aligns with your academic and career goals.

In conclusion, I highly recommend choosing physics as one of your subjects for the HSC. It is a challenging yet rewarding subject that will not only expand your knowledge but also equip you with valuable skills for your future academic and professional endeavors. Best of luck with your decision!

1. Should I choose Physics as an HSC subject?

The decision to choose Physics as an HSC subject depends on your interests and future goals. If you enjoy learning about the laws of nature and have an interest in pursuing a career in fields such as engineering, medicine, or research, then Physics would be a suitable subject for you. It is also beneficial for developing critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

2. Is Physics a difficult subject to study in HSC?

Physics can be a challenging subject, as it involves complex mathematical concepts and abstract theories. However, with consistent effort and practice, it can be manageable. It is important to have a strong foundation in basic math and science concepts before taking on Physics in HSC.

3. What are the job opportunities for students who study Physics in HSC?

Studying Physics in HSC opens up a wide range of career opportunities. Some common career paths for students with a strong background in Physics include engineering, research and development, data analysis, and teaching. Physics is also helpful for students who aspire to work in fields related to space, energy, and technology.

4. How can I prepare for Physics in HSC?

To prepare for Physics in HSC, it is important to have a good understanding of basic concepts and formulas. Practice solving problems and familiarize yourself with the syllabus and exam format. It is also helpful to seek guidance from teachers or tutors and join study groups to discuss difficult concepts.

5. Can I choose Physics even if I am not planning to pursue a career in science?

Absolutely! Physics is a valuable subject that teaches critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills, which are applicable in various fields. It also helps develop a deeper understanding of how the world works. Even if you do not plan to pursue a career in science, Physics can still be a beneficial subject to study in HSC.