1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Yellowstone volcano solution

1. Aug 23, 2017 #1
    Hello,
    recently I noticed an article about super volcano in Yellowstone and NASA's solution by drill and pumping water in there which will be a medium for energy transfer. I hope I have read good article with good informations. A price estimation was around 3.5 mld dollars. In my country we have build an nulcear power plant around 5 mld dollars so for me this aspect realable. Do you agree?
    My main question is: Would be better to use as medium some kind of metal or alloy as a bar which would transfer thermal energy by thermal conducting?

Temperature of core is around 5000 C. A melting point of wolfram is around 4000 C so such materials exists. They have to exists, a borer has to resist such temperature. Also you need not to pump the water in there and spare energy. What is your oppinion?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2017 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Convection is much more efficient than conductivity, and water has a very high heat capacity. You can use the hot water to produce electricity - the system also works as power plant.

Tungsten has a thermal conductivity of 173 W/(m·K). A 500 m column at 500 K temperature difference between the ends (that is unrealistically high) will conduct 173 W/m2. It has a price of 200 million dollars per square meter. With 3.5 billions you can transfer about 3 kW. A negligible power. A single cubic centimeter of water per second, turned to steam, can do the same.
    You could use other materials than tungsten, of course - iron has a lower thermal conductivity, but it is much cheaper. That gives you a factor ~30 mainly from the lower price. 100 kW is still a negligible power.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted