News Yemeni mess

• Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I was listening to a discuss about Yemen, and it's unraveling is probably worthy of its own thread.

US official: US was surprised by collapse of Yemen govt
http://news.yahoo.com/us-official-us-surprised-collapse-yemen-govt-205612576.html [Broken]

Western nations and Saudi Arabia are pulling out.

Nick Rasmussen, who directs the National Counterterrorism Center, told the Senate intelligence committee that Yemen's American-funded army failed to oppose advancing Houthi rebels in the same way the U.S.-supported Iraqi military refused to fight Islamic State militants last year.

What happened in Iraq with the onslaught of the Islamic State group "happened in Yemen" on "a somewhat smaller scale," he said. "As the Houthi advances toward Sanaa took place ... they weren't opposed in many places. ...The situation deteriorated far more rapidly than we expected."
Apparently the Shiite Houthis are aligned with Iran.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm surprised the U.S. was surprised. The county has been on the brink of state failure for awhile. Al Qaeda must be over joyed. The Middle East is truly in crisis. Making Africa look stable is not a good achievement.

Bystander

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
US official: US was surprised by collapse of Yemen govt
I'm surprised the U.S. was surprised.
At what level are people surprised? Collection and analysis of data? Or, "interpretation and assessment" for "decisions and policy?"

JonDE

I'm surprised the U.S. was surprised. The county has been on the brink of state failure for awhile. Al Qaeda must be over joyed. The Middle East is truly in crisis. Making Africa look stable is not a good achievement.
Im not sure how happy Al Qeada is, these rebels are shiite, while Al Qeada is sunni. Seems more like one of their enemies just got replaced by another enemy.