"The Impossible Yes-No Question - Can You Answer It?

In summary: I'll do it." or "Do you have to leave your socks on the floor so the dog can chew on them?" or "Can't you put that book down and come to bed?"Oh, you mean the ones like, "Don't you think it's time to take the trash out?" or "Couldn't you watch TV some other time?" or "Can't you ever pick up after... oh, never mind, I'll do it." or "Do you have to leave your socks on the floor so the dog can chew on them?" or "Can't you put that book down and come to bed?"Yes. All of those. And, "Do
Mk
What is a yes or no question that is impossible to answer with a no or yes? :confused: There has to be one!

Physics news on Phys.org
Is 'no' the answer to this question? :biggrin:

Assuming the normal meanings and that you meant truthfully answer with a 'yes' or 'no'.

Last edited:
...yes,

I don't think there is one.

It is like saying: Can you show me a dog that is not a dog.

brudally said:
...yes,
Then 'no' is not the answer to the question.

mattmns said:
I don't think there is one.

It is like saying: Can you show me a dog that is not a dog.
I think that

Is 'no' the answer to this question?

is what Mk is after. Try to answer it with a 'yes' or 'no'.

Last edited:
Ahh, yes that is what I am after.

:confused:
MK is confused because he is wondering if there is one, and I say Yes, which means there is one.
But what question needs to be answered ?

Or:

Is yes the answer to this question?

Totally original.

Well, that is teh question.

:rofl: Who is on first!

Sorry. Let Q denote the question
I think Q is the question Mk was looking for.

Mk said:
What is a yes or no question that is impossible to answer with a no or yes? :confused: There has to be one!
"Can you say you stole this old lady's purse or be honest?" :smile: (Criminal court cross-examination question.)

honestrosewater said:
:rofl: Who is on first!

Sorry. Let Q denote the question
I think Q is the question Mk was looking for.
:blushing: :blushing:

Mk said:
Or:

Is yes the answer to this question?

Totally original.
Absolutely, yes, the answer to that question.

You should have misunderstood that short post, I believe.

Is there a yes or no question that is impossible to answer with a yes or no? :rofl:

Mk said:
Are you studying up on how to drive yourself crazy? PF has a nice Philosophy section for that.

Lisa! said:
Is there a yes or no question that is impossible to answer with a yes or no? :rofl:
Well, because of the confusion, I wasn't going to mention this, but it would be nice to know how Mk defines a 'yes or no question'.
If Mk's definition is
x is a yes or no question iff x can be answered with either a yes or a no but not both​
which seems reasonable, then the answer to the original question is of course 'no'. (If x cannot be answered with either a yes or a no but not both, then x is not a yes or no question.)

honestrosewater said:
Well, because of the confusion, I wasn't going to mention this,
Yes, I thought for a few minutes about the answer of this question and it was really confusing. Anyway I think this question has an answer anyway. I like trick y questions a lot but I don't think this 1 would be 1 of them! :wink:

djeipa said:
:blushing: :blushing:
Random emoticons from djeipa...

EnumaElish said:
Random emoticons from djeipa...
I don't know waht's going on in this forum because he's always :blushing: ! :biggrin:

Lisa! said:
I don't know waht's going on in this forum because he's always :blushing: ! :biggrin:
Yeah, first there were the "Ohhh"s and the "Ahh"s, then an admittance of being high, then comes the blush. (It all started after your scary test made djeipa swallow a piece of gum.)

Emieno said:
You should have misunderstood that short post, I believe.
Do you mean djeipa miunderstood? I do not think so. The answer to "Is 'yes' the answer to this question?" is tautologically "yes."

whenever a girl asks you "Do you like my new haircut?"

yes or no is never the right answer because if you say yes, you are just saying it to be nice, if you say no, then you are a jerk.

A yes/no question that would be impossible to answer with a yes/no would be a complex question or that includes conditions that are not true.

"Did you know that you were being watched while you were breaking into the blue car?"

If you weren't breaking into a car, or it was a green car rather than a blue car, how do you answer that question?

gravenewworld said:
Not to mention all her questions meant to be statements; taking them as questions and attempting to answer them is actually dragging your feet for not doing what you are clearly being hinted at. You'd better get acting on it.

i have a friend she always comes to sit close to me and tries to hug me:blushing: i don't love her but my friends tell me that the girl fancies me :! and she is going to ask me if i like her or not soon. i don't know what i am going to say :confused:. yes or no?
and, i love someone else.:eek:
if i say :no, then i hurt her. yes, then i hurt myself.:cry:
i will say no but don't know how:uhh:. can anyone help me?:confused:

Moonbear said:
A yes/no question that would be impossible to answer with a yes/no would be a complex question or that includes conditions that are not true.

"Did you know that you were being watched while you were breaking into the blue car?"

If you weren't breaking into a car, or it was a green car rather than a blue car, how do you answer that question?
"Are you still abusing your financial responsibilities?"

"No."

"So you've stopped?"

EnumaElish said:
Not to mention all her questions meant to be statements; taking them as questions and attempting to answer them is actually dragging your feet for not doing what you are clearly being hinted at. You'd better get acting on it.
Oh, you mean the ones like, "Don't you think it's time to take the trash out?" or "Couldn't you watch TV some other time?" or "Can't you ever pick up after yourself?"

gurkhawarhorse said:
i have a friend she always comes to sit close to me and tries to hug me:blushing: i don't love her but my friends tell me that the girl fancies me :! and she is going to ask me if i like her or not soon. i don't know what i am going to say :confused:. yes or no?
and, i love someone else.:eek:
if i say :no, then i hurt her. yes, then i hurt myself.:cry:
i will say no but don't know how:uhh:. can anyone help me?:confused:
You can always say "yes" then drag your feet to act on the implications. (The passive aggressive approach.) But if you don't care about her feelings, or you think she can "take it" or should learn how to, then just say the truth: "I really like you as a friend but I am in a relationship right now."

Moonbear said:
Oh, you mean the ones like, "Don't you think it's time to take the trash out?" or "Couldn't you watch TV some other time?" or "Can't you ever pick up after yourself?"
Yes these are accurate examples.

EnumaElish said:
You can always say "yes" then drag your feet to act on the implications. (The passive aggressive approach.) But if you don't care about her feelings, or you think she can "take it" or should learn how to, then just say the truth: "I really like you as a friend but I am in a relationship right now."

thnx. that is what i thought of dong too.

No, it didn't start after my scary test. I remember it was his emotion from the first day. Go to his first thread and you can see what I said! :wink:

gravenewworld said:

yes or no is never the right answer because if you say yes, you are just saying it to be nice, if you say no, then you are a jerk.
:rofl: That reminds me of a story. Once a woman who just get married, asks his husband "Would you marry again if I'd die before you?"
The man tries to side step her question by saying he can't stay alive after her, he'll kill himself, the life would be intolerable and that kind of things!
The woman insist on having an answer, he says "NO! Never"
She start :cry: ing and says "do you want to say you're having too terrible life with me and hate all women after our marriage that you don't want to make your mistake again?"
The man:"No, I'm having a great time.so yes, I'll marry again for sure perhaps more than 1 time"
The woman: "How cheeky and unfaithful! I'm still alive and you're talking about remarriage and other women? :grumpy: :cry: "
The man finally get angry and kills his wife accidently!

Lisa! said:
No, it didn't start after my scary test. I remember it was his emotion from the first day. Go to his first thread and you can see what I said! :wink:

:rofl: That reminds me of a story. Once a woman who just get married, asks his husband "Would you marry again if I'd die before you?"
The man tries to side step her question by saying he can't stay alive after her, he'll kill himself, the life would be intolerable and that kind of things!
The woman insist on having an answer, he says "NO! Never"
She start :cry: ing and says "do you want to say you're having too terrible life with me and hate all women after our marriage that you don't want to make your mistake again?"
The man:"No, I'm having a great time.so yes, I'll marry again for sure perhaps more than 1 time"
The woman: "How cheeky and unfaithful! I'm still alive and you're talking about remarriage and other women? :grumpy: :cry: "
The man finally get angry and kills his wife accidently!

lol :rolleyes:

Do you think that's funny? :grumpy: