Yes, this is a dumb question. sorry

• Thread starter mujadeo
  • Start date
In summary, the relationship between liters and meters is that liters are a measure of volume and meters are a measure of length. In terms of flow rates, to convert from liters per minute to fluid velocity, you need to know the cross sectional area and use the equation: flow rate = area * velocity. This relationship is based on the fact that 1 liter is equal to 1000th of a cubic meter and that volume is equal to length multiplied by area.
mujadeo

Homework Statement

how are litres related to meters? (with respect to flow rates.

so for eg, if something goes 20litres per minute, then how do you convert that to the fluids velocity??

(so i think I am having probs because i can't seem to get the difference between a litre and a meter, (are meters cubed litres??)
thanks.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
If its water then a cubed meter is 1000 kg. A metric ton. A liter of water is 1000th of that. One kg. If its any other fluid then all bets are off.

You need to know the cross sectional area.
Volume = length * area
So flow rate (volume/s) = area * speed (length/s)

What do you mean by "Yes, this is a dumb question. sorry"?

This phrase is usually used as a disclaimer before asking a question that the person believes may be obvious or silly. It is a way to acknowledge that the question may not be the most intelligent, but they still want an answer.

Why do people feel the need to apologize for asking a dumb question?

Some people may feel self-conscious or embarrassed about asking a question that they believe is obvious or silly. They may apologize as a way to acknowledge their own perceived lack of knowledge or intelligence.

Is there such a thing as a truly dumb question?

No, all questions have value and can lead to learning and understanding. What may seem like a dumb question to one person may not be obvious to another. Asking questions is an important part of the scientific process.

How should I respond when someone prefaces a question with "Yes, this is a dumb question. sorry"?

It is important to be patient and understanding when someone asks a question, regardless of how they preface it. Answer the question respectfully and without judgement. Remember that everyone has different levels of knowledge and understanding.

How can I avoid feeling self-conscious about asking questions?

Remember that asking questions is a sign of curiosity and a desire to learn. It is important to embrace this curiosity and not be afraid to ask for clarification or more information. Also, remember that there is no such thing as a dumb question and that asking questions is a crucial part of the scientific process.