Making History Today - A Reflection

In summary: Not so great President.In summary, both Barack Obama and John McCain gave great speeches. McCain's supporters booed him whenever he mentioned Obama, but the Obama supporters clapped for McCain out of respect. Obama's speech was full of quotes from Lincoln, and it was a very proud day for black people. The man who was holding his child was white, and McCain said it was a proud day for black people. McCain also said that he wants to make changes for Joe the plumber. I thought both speeches were amazing, and I'm excited to see what Obama will do as president.
Don't know if this is worthy of a separate thread but -

How Obama's Win Will Affect Middle East Elections
http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1857351,00.html

Four elections to be held over the next year in the Middle East and its outer fringes — all of them potentially affected by Barack Obama's historic win on Tuesday — could substantially alter the region's troubled dynamic. Obama's victory will be, rightly or wrongly, viewed by many abroad as heralding a tectonic shift in U.S. foreign policy. And that perception could shape the outcome of a number of different races across the troubled region in ways that could affect long-term U.S. goals, for better and worse. (Read "The World's View of Obama's win.")

Israel goes to the polls on Feb. 10 to elect a new Prime Minister and parliament; voters in Iran will choose a new President on June 12; and Iraq will hold provincial elections next January, followed by a national election late in 2009. Afghanistan is slated to hold new presidential elections next fall.

. . . .
Should be interesting to see what develops in terms of the leadership and popular expectations in those countries.

We need to find a nice deserted area in the world where anyone who wants to shoot someone can go and participate, and the rest of us who would rather live in peace (and not shoot anyone) can do so.

Science news on Phys.org
Obama, Candidate of Change, Looks to Old Hands From Clinton Era
http://news.yahoo.com/s/bloomberg/au5kqtuqgkhu

Nov. 10 (Bloomberg) -- Barack Obama, elected president as an agent of change, is building his new team with old hands from the Clinton administration.

His first appointment, chief of staff, went to Rahm Emanuel, an Illinois representative and veteran of the last Democratic White House. Leading Obama's transition team is John Podesta, who was President Bill Clinton's chief of staff.

Obama's most dramatic step would be to name New York Senator Hillary Clinton, his defeated rival for the Democratic presidential nomination, as secretary of state. Two Obama advisers confirm the idea has been discussed, though they say they don't know how seriously the president-elect is considering it or whether Clinton would accept it.

Faced from day one with an economic crisis and two wars, Obama's campaign theme of changing the way Washington works is about to be overtaken by getting to work in Washington. For that, experience helps.

. . . .

From his transition team to his economic advisers, Obama, 47, has surrounded himself with both loyalists new to government and a group of familiar Democratic Party figures who formed something of an administration in exile during Republican President George W. Bush's administration. Some of those who have advised Obama reach back to Jimmy Carter's administration, such as Paul Volcker, 81, the former Federal Reserve chairman.

. . . .
I'm hoping Obama retains considerable independence. We don't need a repeat of the Clinton administration.

Last edited by a moderator:
...Obama's most dramatic step would be to name New York Senator Hillary Clinton, his defeated rival for the Democratic presidential nomination, as secretary of state.
If the Pres. elect goes w/ Clinton everyone will pretty much have to scrap 'Change' logos and bumper stickers.

Richard Holbrook.

Holbrooke-Amtsfoto_1-293x400.jpg

Im going to say his name over and over again until I am blue in the face. Give him a good position.

Ivan Seeking said:
Alex Castellanos, Rep media consultant, commented last night that Obama did something he has never seen before: Obama told Americans that he he will need our help.

Can you guess who said this after winning the presidential election?
...So today I want to speak to every person who voted for my opponent: To make this nation stronger and better I will need your support, and I will work to earn it. I will do all I can do to deserve your trust.

It appears that any Tom, Dick or Harry can call themselves a Rep media consultant.

Last edited:
chemisttree said:
Can you guess who said this after winning the presidential election?

It appears that any Tom, Dick or Harry can call themselves a Rep media consultant.
How about "Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country." That was the President asking Americans to help him.

Exactly, Evo.