Yet another book recommendation request

In summary, the conversation is about the person looking for recommendations on books about partial differential equations and complex analysis. They currently have two books from their courses but are looking for additional resources. The person recommends "PDE's" by W. Strauss and "Complex Variables" by M. Spiegel, but mentions that the former is not cheap. They also mention that their current PDE book avoids using complex variables and instead uses trigonometric functions. The person is interested in finding a book that teaches the complex approach to PDEs.
Spectre5
Hey,

I am looking for some recommendations on books covering partial differential equations and another one on complex analysis. I don't have a lot of extra money, so I am kind of hoping that someone has experience with some of the Dover books, and could possible recommend any of them? I have looked at many of them on amazon.com, but I simply have no idea which ones are "better" or "worse".

I am very interesting in both the theory and applications of partial differential equations and complex analysis.

Currently, I do have:
An Introduction to Partial Differential Equations by Matthew P Coleman
and
Fundamentals of Complex Analysis by E. B. Saff and A. D. Snider

(these are the books I have from my courses in them)

Thanks for any recommendations!

-Scott

PS:
The book I have on Partial Differential Equations is a first edition book and I have found many mistakes throughout the book (mistakes within the book as well as incorrect answers to selected problems).

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
No suggestions?

OK, here goes:

PDE's It's not cheap, but I really like it:, by W. Strauss. I took a course from it, and it is about as friendly an introduction as possible, considering the subject.

Complex Variables I recommend the Schaum's Outline , by M. Spiegel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the suggestions. I will look into those. In that pde book, does it teach pde's from the complex perspective or trigonometric?

i.e. My pde book now avoids as many uses of complex variables as possible and converts everything to sin/cos and sinh/cosh instead of complex exponentials. I would like to get a pde book that teaches the complex approach to pde's.

Which method does that book use?

thanks

-Scott

Spectre5 said:
Which method does that book use?

It focuses on the trigonometric perspective.

1. What is "Yet another book recommendation request"?

"Yet another book recommendation request" refers to a request for suggestions or recommendations for books to read. It is a common phrase used on online platforms or forums where individuals ask for book recommendations from others.

2. Why do people make "Yet another book recommendation request"?

People make "Yet another book recommendation request" because they are looking for new books to read and may want to explore different genres, authors, or styles. They may also want to broaden their knowledge on a specific topic or simply find a new book to enjoy.

3. How can I make a successful "Yet another book recommendation request"?

To make a successful "Yet another book recommendation request", be specific about what you are looking for in a book. Provide information about your preferred genres, themes, or writing styles. Also, mention any books you have enjoyed in the past to give others a better understanding of your reading preferences.

4. Where can I find "Yet another book recommendation request"?

"Yet another book recommendation request" can be found on various online platforms, such as book review websites, book forums, or social media groups dedicated to books. You can also ask for recommendations from friends, family, or your local library or bookstore.

5. How can I use "Yet another book recommendation request" to discover new books?

You can use "Yet another book recommendation request" to discover new books by reading through the recommendations provided by others. You may also find new books by exploring different genres or authors that you may not have considered before. Additionally, you can use "Yet another book recommendation request" to engage in discussions about books and learn about new releases or hidden gems.