1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Yet Another Convergence Question

1. Jan 30, 2009 #1
    The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let a_1, a_2, ... be a sequence of real numbers that converges to a. Let b_n = 1/n(a_1 + ... + a_n). Prove that b_1, b_2, ... also converges to a.

The attempt at a solution
    Let e > 0. We know that there is an N such that |a_n - a| < e for all n > N. Now |nb_n - na| <= |a_1 - a| + ... + |a_n - a|, but I don't see how we can have |a_i - a| < e for i = 1, ..., n. Any tips?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

b_m for m>N is (1/m)*(sum(a_i for i=1 to N)+(1/m)*sum(a_i for i=N+1 to m)). The first sum is finite and doesn't depend on m. So it's contribution to the limit is 0.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  4. Jan 30, 2009 #3
    I don't understand why the contribution to the limit is 0. Does that mean that |a_i - a| < e for all i = 1, ..., N?

5. Jan 30, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Not at all. The point is that the contribution of the first N terms, where you don't have a bound, to the limit of the b_i is insignificant. It's only a finite number of terms. For large i>>N, b_i is the average over a huge number of terms.

6. Jan 30, 2009 #5
    Sorry for being dense. Are you're saying that the first N terms of the series do not contribute to the sum of the series? I wasn't thinking in terms of series. What would be the epsilon-argument?

7. Jan 30, 2009 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Of course they contribute! But you can make their contribution unimportant by looking at large enough b_m. Look b_m=(A+sum(b_i, for i>N))/m where A is the sum of the first N terms. The sum is m-N numbers all of which are within epsilon of the limit 'a'. What's the limit as m->infinity? You will have to account for A in your limit argument, but you can make A/m as small as you want by picking m large enough.

8. Jan 30, 2009 #7
    I think you meant to write a_i instead of b_i and "for N < i <= m" instead of "for i>N".

I see know. For some reason, I was thinking that A varied with m. Don't ask me why. Thanks for your help and your patience!

9. Jan 30, 2009 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are right. I guess I got tired of writing the same thing over and over again and stopped checking carefully. Glad you got it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?