Creative Egg Drop Project Ideas without Restrictions | Homework Help

In summary, a student is discussing ideas for an egg drop project and is looking for suggestions that do not involve any restrictions or alterations to the egg. Some ideas include suspending the egg in a box, using sponges or bubble wrap, and adding wings. Other suggestions include using non-Newtonian fluids, banana skins, syrup or marmalade, miniature springs, playing cards, or a wooden cube contraption. The student tries out some of these ideas and ultimately succeeds in creating a structure that allows the egg to survive being dropped from a roof.
YouDontKnowMe

Homework Statement

So, as you all know, everyone has to do an egg drop project sometime. Well, I got mine today. Yes, I know there are other similar topics, but they all the ones I found had a bunch of restrictions that didn't apply.

Rules:
-Any materials may be used
-no kits
-no balloons/parachute-like-things
-no pillows/stuffed animals
-no egg alterations [ie., soaking in vinegar]
-capsule must have an easy-open hatch
-capsule is no heavier than 200g [*not including the egg*]
-capsule must be smaller than an 8" x 11" sheet of paper on all sides
-egg is in a ziplock bag, in case it dies [recommened]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have a few partial ideas...
-suspend the egg in a box of some sort
-wrap in sponges or bubble wrap
-maybe add wings

Physics news on Phys.org
So I've got another idea...:
What if i have my egg, put it in a sponge, stick dowels [outward] around the sponge, and put soemthing on the end of the dowels? Would that work?

-edit: Oh, this will be thrown from the second floor of the school.-

make helicopter wings like the things that fall off oak trees main thing is to slow it down

Boil the egg.

jholtz said:
make helicopter wings like the things that fall off oak trees main thing is to slow it down
That's a good idea, except it's literally going to be thrown off the second floor, so the wings wouldn't really have enough time take effect... Thanks anyway.
@inutard: no egg alterations...

Any other suggestions...?
-What could i use instead of a sponge?
-What should I put on the end of the dowels?

Put some sort of steamlining device on the egg to make sure it stays upright. No need for anything else. You usually cannot break the egg across the ends of its longest length.

Edit: Unless, of course, you are planning to drop it onto cement..

...A what? .__.

-edit: oh, yeah...-

You chould try suspending the egg in non-Newtonian fluid and then dropping it.

Like what? jello?

Cornstarch w/ water.

1: Fill a big banana skin with water & place the egg in it & let errrr rrrriiiipppppp...

2: Maybe bubble wrap then banana skin?

3: Fill your zip-lock bag with syrup or marmalade or jam.

4: Use chewing gum or tape to stick loads and loads of minature springs to spread the pressure = force per unit area out ;) You'd find them in click pens and the like.

5: Cut an orange 3/4 of the way out, scoop out some of the vitamin c enriched insides and place it inside. I'm sure that would cushion it.

6: Use glue & playing cards to shape a really elaborate outer cube case w/ the egg in the center & use some wood @ each of the 8 corners to hold it in place but don't have the tiny wood as long as the card.

Say, stick two cards together and have the wood about 1/3 the length of the two cards and selotape it into the middle. This will give the contraption a bounce & allow the egg to move around inside without feeling the force acting upwards. The force would spread out. Strange image but I'd make it lol.

My first idea...

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs408.snc3/24667_110251928986676_100000056071692_283623_985944_s.jpg

insert egg here
http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs428.snc3/24667_110251932320009_100000056071692_283624_3580314_s.jpg

inside
http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs408.snc3/24667_110251935653342_100000056071692_283625_6748601_s.jpg
[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:
That looks ok. Tell me how it goes. You might want to search up 'non-Newtonian egg drop' on youtube by the way. I thought it was a pretty neat idea.

Thanks :D Although I'm not completely done, I tested it off my roof... It worked pretty well, but the egg broke after a couple of throws.
Ok then, I'll check it out when i get a chance.

The dowels killed the egg, so i fixed it...

[PLAIN][PLAIN]http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs448.ash1/24667_110290325649503_100000056071692_284365_8227984_s.jpg

back
[PLAIN][PLAIN]http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs448.ash1/24667_110290325649503_100000056071692_284365_8227984_s.jpg

front
http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs408.snc3/24667_110290332316169_100000056071692_284367_6601999_s.jpg

insert egg here
http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs428.snc3/24667_110290335649502_100000056071692_284368_2131023_s.jpg

The egg survived!

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the purpose of a "Yet another egg drop project"?

The purpose of a "Yet another egg drop project" is to test the durability of an egg when dropped from a certain height. This project is often used as a science experiment to teach students about the concepts of gravity, force, and impact.

2. What materials are needed for a "Yet another egg drop project"?

The materials needed for a "Yet another egg drop project" include an egg, various materials such as paper, straws, and tape, a ruler, and a designated drop zone (such as a balcony or ladder).

3. How do I ensure the safety of the egg during the project?

To ensure the safety of the egg during the project, it is important to use materials that can absorb the force of the impact and create a cushion for the egg. It is also important to carefully construct the container in which the egg will be held. Additionally, choosing a drop zone with a soft surface (such as grass) can also help protect the egg.

4. What factors should be considered when designing the container for the egg?

When designing the container for the egg, factors such as weight, size, and shape should be considered. The container should be lightweight to minimize the force of impact, but also sturdy enough to protect the egg. It should also be small enough to fit within the designated drop zone, but large enough to hold the egg securely.

5. How can I make my "Yet another egg drop project" more challenging?

To make the project more challenging, you can increase the height from which the egg is dropped, limit the materials that can be used, or set a time limit for constructing the container. You can also add additional constraints, such as only using certain types of materials or limiting the number of materials that can be used.