Designing an Egg-Dropping Device with Limited Resources

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the conversation discusses a physics class project where an egg is to be dropped from 2 stories with various restrictions. The student suggests using a low helium balloon and household items such as wipes and dryer sheets to cushion the egg. The main concern is how to suspend the egg with limited materials. Suggestions for this include using string or rubber bands. It is also advised to test the design at a lower height before the actual drop and prioritize safety.
NewAge

Homework Statement

In our phhysics class we are dropping an egg from 2 stories and we are given multiple restrictions inlcuding:
No Parachutes.
Length must not exceed 50cm in any direction.
The design may not consist primarily of packing materials.
Commercial packing materials may not be used.
Cannot be more than $5.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've been thinking about using a low heium balloon to slow down the drop of the project and keeping the egg in a half cut water bottle and using wipes and dryer sheets to cushion the cup in which holds the egg. The thing I'm stuck on is how to suspend the egg when I don't have a lot of materials to work with.

I tried looking on google, but everyone has different restrictions.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear fellow student,

Thank you for sharing your thought process for this project. It seems like you have put a lot of thought into it and have come up with a creative solution within the given restrictions.

In order to suspend the egg, you could try using string or thread to create a net or hammock-like structure for the egg to sit in. This would also help distribute the weight of the egg evenly and prevent it from breaking upon impact.

Another idea could be to use rubber bands or elastic bands to create a cushion for the egg. You could stretch them over a small container or cup and place the egg on top, allowing the bands to absorb the impact of the fall.

I would also suggest testing your design multiple times at a lower height before attempting the 2-story drop to make sure it can withstand the impact.

I hope these suggestions help and good luck with your project! Remember to always prioritize safety and have fun with your experiment.

1. How do I determine the best design for my egg-dropping device with limited resources?

The best design for your egg-dropping device will depend on a few factors, such as the size and weight of the egg, the height from which it will be dropped, and the materials you have available. It is important to consider the impact of gravity, air resistance, and impact force on the egg when designing your device. You can also research and gather inspiration from existing designs to help you come up with the best design for your specific resources.

2. What materials are best to use for an egg-dropping device with limited resources?

Some of the best materials to use for an egg-dropping device with limited resources include lightweight and durable materials such as cardboard, straws, popsicle sticks, rubber bands, and paper. These materials are easily accessible and can be manipulated to create a sturdy structure for your device. It is important to also consider the weight of the materials themselves, as the heavier the device, the greater the impact force on the egg.

3. How do I test my egg-dropping device with limited resources?

Once you have designed and built your egg-dropping device, you can test it by dropping it from different heights and recording the results. You can also add an egg or a similar object to the device and test it again to see if it can withstand the impact. It is important to test your device multiple times and make any necessary adjustments to improve its performance.

4. Can I use a parachute for my egg-dropping device with limited resources?

Yes, a parachute can be a great addition to your egg-dropping device with limited resources. It can help slow down the descent of the device and reduce the impact force on the egg. You can make a parachute using lightweight materials such as plastic bags or tissue paper, and attach it to the top of your device. Just make sure to test and adjust the size and shape of the parachute to ensure it is effective.

5. What are some tips for designing an egg-dropping device with limited resources?

Some tips for designing an egg-dropping device with limited resources include keeping the design simple, using lightweight materials, testing the device multiple times before the final drop, and making necessary adjustments based on the test results. It is also helpful to research and gather inspiration from existing designs and to be creative in using alternative materials or techniques to achieve a successful device.