Electric Charge Problem: Determining Resultant Electrostatic Force"

In summary, the problem involved finding the horizontal and vertical components of the resultant electrostatic force on a charge in the lower left corner of a square, with given values for the charge (q) and length (a). The equations used to solve for these components were Fh = F-2q + F-q(cos(45)) and Fv = -F+q + F-q(sin(45)). The student made a mistake in their initial attempt, using incorrect values for the charges and not considering the diagonal distance of the far corner. After receiving suggestions, they were able to correct their calculations and arrive at the correct answer.
frankfjf
I got this problem wrong in my text's student companion website, but I don't understand why. Could someone let me know what went wrong?

Homework Statement

What are the horizontal and the vertical components of the resultant electrostatic force on the charge in the lower left corner of the square if q = 0.10 micro Coulombs (Or uC as I cannot remember how to type the Greek letter equivalent.) and a = 5.0cm?

Physfigure.jpg

Homework Equations

Fh = F-q + F-2q(cos(45))

Fv = -F+q + F-q(sin(45))

The Attempt at a Solution

I get .17E-6 N for Fh and -2.1E-7 N for Fv. I think I may have mixed up some decimal places on Fh, but the solution presented is .17 N for Fh and -0.046 for Fv. I just don't understand what I did wrong though.

Physics news on Phys.org
for Fh: your first term should be [tex]F_{-2q}[/tex], and your second term should be [tex]F_{-q}\cos(45^o)[/tex]

for both: Please show more work. What is the general formula for the electrostatic force? What values did you use for each variable in the equation?

My apologies. I'll try out your suggestion for Fh. Otherwise...

Fh = ((8.99E9)(2E-7)(1E-7)/.05^2) + (((8.99E9)(2E-7)^2)/.05^2)cos(45)

Fv = -((8.99E9)(2E-6)(1E-6)/.05^2) + ((8.99E9)(2E-6)(1E-6)/.05^2)sin(45)

For Fv: as in Fh, the charges should be multiplied by 10-7

After your suggestions I get .19E-8 for FH and -.02E-8. Why do my answers still differ from what the website presents? I don't get it.

frankfjf said:
My apologies. I'll try out your suggestion for Fh. Otherwise...

Fh = ((8.99E9)(2E-7)(1E-7)/.05^2) + (((8.99E9)(2E-7)^2)/.05^2)cos(45)

Fv = -((8.99E9)(2E-6)(1E-6)/.05^2) + ((8.99E9)(2E-6)(1E-6)/.05^2)sin(45)

for the charge on the far corner: the distance is not 0.05m. It is along the diagonal of the square, not along one of the sides.
I'm checking now to see if that clears things up...

edit: I got the correct answer for both Fh and Fv when I took both of my suggestions (and the rest of your work :wink:).

Last edited:
So for the charge in the far corner, it's not 0.05m? If not then how can I get the right measurement? The diagram doesn't give any indication of what the diagonal is. Or do you mean just the two suggestions you gave and the diagonal is a red herring so to speak?

Cheese, frank, I wouldn't trick you like that!

You don't know the formula for the diagonal of a square? It's the same as the hypotenuse of a 45-45-90 triangle.

Ah okay, that helped. Thanks!

1. What is an electric charge?

An electric charge is a fundamental physical property of matter that causes it to experience and produce electrical and magnetic effects. It is a form of energy that can be positive or negative, and is quantified by the unit of coulomb (C).

2. What is the SI unit for electric charge?

The SI unit for electric charge is coulomb (C). It is named after the French physicist Charles-Augustin de Coulomb.

3. How is electric charge measured?

Electric charge can be measured using an instrument called an electrometer. It works by measuring the force between two charged objects, or by measuring the amount of charge that flows through a circuit in a given amount of time.

4. What is the difference between static and dynamic electric charges?

Static electric charges are stationary or fixed, while dynamic electric charges are in motion. Static charges are commonly observed in everyday life through phenomena such as static electricity, while dynamic charges are involved in the flow of electricity through a circuit.

5. How does electric charge interact with other fundamental forces?

Electric charge interacts with other fundamental forces, such as gravity and the strong and weak nuclear forces, through the electromagnetic force. This force is responsible for the attraction and repulsion between charged objects, as well as the formation of electric and magnetic fields.