1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Yet another FODE question

1. Mar 4, 2006 #1
    Hey.
    I've been doing more mechanics recently - further kinematics in M3. I've come across another question i'm confused by.

A particle moves on the positive x-axis. When its displacement from O is x meters, is acceleration is of magnitude x^-3 m/s^2 and directed towards O. Given that initially, when t=0, the particle is at rest with x=1, find the time the particle takes to reach x=1/4.

First i integrate with respect to x to find:

V^2 = x^-2 + C where C = -1
    v^2 = x^-2 -1

V = x^-1 - 1

Now i integrate again to find velocity as (dx/dt):

dx/dt = x^-1 - 1

Which is a FODE, however i cant solve it.

Thank you,
    Bob

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2006 #2

LeonhardEuler

Gold Member

That isn't quite right. The problem says the accleration is given by [itex]x^{-3}[/itex] towards the origin, so
    [tex]\frac{d^2x}{dt^2}=-x^{-3}[/tex]
    Multiplying by x3dt2 gives:
    [tex]x^3d^2x =-dt^2[/tex]
    Now integrate twice.

4. Mar 4, 2006 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, you can't treat a second derivative like that, "differentials", dx and dy separately, are only defined for the first derivative: we could separate [itex]\frac{dv}{dt}= x^{-3}[/itex] into [itex]cv= x^{-3}dt[/itex] but then you can't integrate x-3 with respect to t.

You can do this by "quadrature" (looks to me like this is what mr bob did)- since t does not appear explicitly, let [itex]v= \frac{dx}{dt}[/itex]. Then [itex]\frac{d^2x}{dt^2}= \frac{dv}{dt}[/itex] and, by the chain rule, [itex]\frac{dv}{dt}= \frac{dv}{dx}\frac{dx}{dt}= v\frac{dv}{dx}[/itex]

That makes the equation [itex]v\frac{dv}{dx}= x^{-3}[/itex] which we can separate: [itex]v dv= x^{-3}dx[/itex] and, integrating, [itex]\frac{1}{2}v^2= -\frac{1}{2}x^{-2}+ C[/itex] or [itex]v^2= -x^{-2}+ C[/itex] almost what mr bob said (he is missing the "-" as x increases the particle slows). Taking x= 1, v= 0 when t= 0, we get 0= -1+ C so C= 1 and [itex]v^2= -x^{-2}+ C[/itex] again almost as mr bob said.

However, (are you listening mr bob?) taking the square root does NOT give v= 1- x-1!!! [itex]\sqrt{a^2+ b^2} \ne a+ b[/itex]!!!

Instead [itex]v= \frac{dx}{dt}= \sqrt{1- x^{-1}}= \sqrt{\frac{x^2- 1}{x^2}}= \frac{\sqrt{x^2-1}}{x}[/itex]. That separates as [itex]\frac{xdx}{x^2- 1}= dt[/itex] which should be easy to integrate.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2006
  5. Mar 4, 2006 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, you can't treat a second derivative like that: we could separate [itex]\frac{dv}{dt}= x^{-3}[/itex] into [itex]cv= x^{-3}dt[/itex] but then you can't integrat x-3 with respect to t.

You can do this by "quadrature"- since t does not appear explicitly, let [itex]v= \frac{dx}{dt}. Then [itex]\frac{d^2x}{dt^2}= \frac{dv}{dt}[/itex] and, by the chain rule, [itex]\frac{dv}{dt}= \frac{dv}{dx}\frac{dx}{dt}= v\frac{dv}{dx}[/itex]

That makes the equation [itex]v\frac{dv}{dx}= x^{-3}[/itex] which we can separate: [itex]v dv= x^{-3}dx[/itex] and, integrating, [itex]\frac{1}{2}v^2= -\frac{1}{2}x^{-2}+ C[/itex] or [itex]v^2= -x^{-2}+ C[/itex] almost what mr bob said (he is missing the "-" as x increases the particle slows). Taking x= 1, v= 0 when t= 0, we get 0= -1+ C so C= 1 and [itex]v^2= 1 -x^{-2}[/itex] again almost as mr bob said.

However, (are you listening mr bob?) taking the square root does NOT give v= 1- x-1!!! [itex]\sqrt{a^2+ b^2} \ne a+ b[/itex]!!!

Instead [itex]v= \frac{dx}{dt}= \sqrt{1- x^{-1}}= \sqrt{\frac{x^2- 1}{x^2}}= \frac{\sqrt{x^2-1}}{x}[/itex]. That separates as [itex]\frac{xdx}{\sqrt{x^2- 1}}= dt[/itex] which should be easy to integrate.

6. Mar 5, 2006 #5
    Thank you very much. I really appreciate the help. Some of these mechanics questions are a bit hard. Need to improve my integration skills abit.

7. Mar 5, 2006 #6
    I've integrated to [itex]t = \sqrt(x^2 - 1)[/itex] but cant get the answer correct. Find t when x = 1/4, which gives the root of a negative number, not real. But the book's answer is [itex]\sqrt(15)[/itex] which i notice is [itex]\sqrt(x^-2 - 1)[/itex]. How is this possible?

Thank you,
    Bob

8. Mar 5, 2006 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The acceleration is of magnitude x-3 and directed toward O!!

I missed that myself: the differential equation is not
    [tex]\frac{dv}{dt}= x^{-3}[/tex]
    it is
    [tex]\frac{dv}{dt}= -x^{-3}[/tex]
    !!!

That's why you had what I (mistakenly) thought was a sign error!

9. Mar 5, 2006 #8
    When i integrate i get [itex]t = 1 - (1 - x^2)[/itex].
    I'm getting confused by this now, i think my brain's just died, ah well. Sorry for keeping asking questions, i can see how annoying it would be if the answer was so obvious yet i dont grasp it.

Thanks,
    Bob

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?