How do I solve this FODE for the particle's velocity?

• Thread starter mr bob
  • Start date
In summary, Bob is struggling with a mechanics question involving a particle moving on the positive x-axis with an acceleration of magnitude x^-3 directed towards the origin. He has tried integrating twice, but is having trouble solving the resulting equation. He is also struggling with understanding the concept of taking the square root.
mr bob
Hey.
I've been doing more mechanics recently - further kinematics in M3. I've come across another question I'm confused by.

A particle moves on the positive x-axis. When its displacement from O is x meters, is acceleration is of magnitude x^-3 m/s^2 and directed towards O. Given that initially, when t=0, the particle is at rest with x=1, find the time the particle takes to reach x=1/4.

First i integrate with respect to x to find:

V^2 = x^-2 + C where C = -1
v^2 = x^-2 -1

V = x^-1 - 1

Now i integrate again to find velocity as (dx/dt):

dx/dt = x^-1 - 1

Which is a FODE, however i can't solve it.

Thank you,
Bob

Physics news on Phys.org
mr bob said:
Hey.
I've been doing more mechanics recently - further kinematics in M3. I've come across another question I'm confused by.

A particle moves on the positive x-axis. When its displacement from O is x meters, is acceleration is of magnitude x^-3 m/s^2 and directed towards O. Given that initially, when t=0, the particle is at rest with x=1, find the time the particle takes to reach x=1/4.

First i integrate with respect to x to find:

V^2 = x^-2 + C where C = -1
v^2 = x^-2 -1

V = x^-1 - 1

Now i integrate again to find velocity as (dx/dt):

dx/dt = x^-1 - 1

Which is a FODE, however i can't solve it.

Thank you,
Bob
That isn't quite right. The problem says the accleration is given by [itex]x^{-3}[/itex] towards the origin, so
[tex]\frac{d^2x}{dt^2}=-x^{-3}[/tex]
Multiplying by x3dt2 gives:
[tex]x^3d^2x =-dt^2[/tex]
Now integrate twice.

LeonhardEuler said:
That isn't quite right. The problem says the accleration is given by [itex]x^{-3}[/itex] towards the origin, so
Now integrate twice.

No, you can't treat a second derivative like that, "differentials", dx and dy separately, are only defined for the first derivative: we could separate [itex]\frac{dv}{dt}= x^{-3}[/itex] into [itex]cv= x^{-3}dt[/itex] but then you can't integrate x-3 with respect to t.

You can do this by "quadrature" (looks to me like this is what mr bob did)- since t does not appear explicitly, let [itex]v= \frac{dx}{dt}[/itex]. Then [itex]\frac{d^2x}{dt^2}= \frac{dv}{dt}[/itex] and, by the chain rule, [itex]\frac{dv}{dt}= \frac{dv}{dx}\frac{dx}{dt}= v\frac{dv}{dx}[/itex]

That makes the equation [itex]v\frac{dv}{dx}= x^{-3}[/itex] which we can separate: [itex]v dv= x^{-3}dx[/itex] and, integrating, [itex]\frac{1}{2}v^2= -\frac{1}{2}x^{-2}+ C[/itex] or [itex]v^2= -x^{-2}+ C[/itex] almost what mr bob said (he is missing the "-" as x increases the particle slows). Taking x= 1, v= 0 when t= 0, we get 0= -1+ C so C= 1 and [itex]v^2= -x^{-2}+ C[/itex] again almost as mr bob said.

However, (are you listening mr bob?) taking the square root does NOT give v= 1- x-1! [itex]\sqrt{a^2+ b^2} \ne a+ b[/itex]!

Instead [itex]v= \frac{dx}{dt}= \sqrt{1- x^{-1}}= \sqrt{\frac{x^2- 1}{x^2}}= \frac{\sqrt{x^2-1}}{x}[/itex]. That separates as [itex]\frac{xdx}{x^2- 1}= dt[/itex] which should be easy to integrate.

Last edited by a moderator:
LeonhardEuler said:
Now integrate twice.

No, you can't treat a second derivative like that: we could separate [itex]\frac{dv}{dt}= x^{-3}[/itex] into [itex]cv= x^{-3}dt[/itex] but then you can't integrat x-3 with respect to t.

You can do this by "quadrature"- since t does not appear explicitly, let [itex]v= \frac{dx}{dt}. Then [itex]\frac{d^2x}{dt^2}= \frac{dv}{dt}[/itex] and, by the chain rule, [itex]\frac{dv}{dt}= \frac{dv}{dx}\frac{dx}{dt}= v\frac{dv}{dx}[/itex]

That makes the equation [itex]v\frac{dv}{dx}= x^{-3}[/itex] which we can separate: [itex]v dv= x^{-3}dx[/itex] and, integrating, [itex]\frac{1}{2}v^2= -\frac{1}{2}x^{-2}+ C[/itex] or [itex]v^2= -x^{-2}+ C[/itex] almost what mr bob said (he is missing the "-" as x increases the particle slows). Taking x= 1, v= 0 when t= 0, we get 0= -1+ C so C= 1 and [itex]v^2= 1 -x^{-2}[/itex] again almost as mr bob said.

However, (are you listening mr bob?) taking the square root does NOT give v= 1- x-1! [itex]\sqrt{a^2+ b^2} \ne a+ b[/itex]!

Instead [itex]v= \frac{dx}{dt}= \sqrt{1- x^{-1}}= \sqrt{\frac{x^2- 1}{x^2}}= \frac{\sqrt{x^2-1}}{x}[/itex]. That separates as [itex]\frac{xdx}{\sqrt{x^2- 1}}= dt[/itex] which should be easy to integrate.

Thank you very much. I really appreciate the help. Some of these mechanics questions are a bit hard. Need to improve my integration skills abit.

I've integrated to [itex]t = \sqrt(x^2 - 1)[/itex] but can't get the answer correct. Find t when x = 1/4, which gives the root of a negative number, not real. But the book's answer is [itex]\sqrt(15)[/itex] which i notice is [itex]\sqrt(x^-2 - 1)[/itex]. How is this possible?

Thank you,
Bob

Last edited:
The acceleration is of magnitude x-3 and directed toward O!

I missed that myself: the differential equation is not
[tex]\frac{dv}{dt}= x^{-3}[/tex]
it is
[tex]\frac{dv}{dt}= -x^{-3}[/tex]
!

That's why you had what I (mistakenly) thought was a sign error!

Last edited by a moderator:
When i integrate i get [itex]t = 1 - (1 - x^2)[/itex].
I'm getting confused by this now, i think my brain's just died, ah well. Sorry for keeping asking questions, i can see how annoying it would be if the answer was so obvious yet i don't grasp it.

Thanks,
Bob

1. What is a FODE?

A FODE stands for First-Order Differential Equation. It is a mathematical equation that involves an unknown function and its derivatives.

2. Why are FODEs important?

FODEs are important because they are used to model many physical phenomena in science and engineering. They can also be used to solve real-world problems, such as predicting the behavior of a system over time.

3. How do you solve a FODE?

The process for solving a FODE depends on its specific form. However, in general, one can use techniques such as separation of variables, integrating factors, or substitution to find a solution.

4. Can a FODE have more than one solution?

Yes, a FODE can have multiple solutions. This is because the general solution of a FODE contains arbitrary constants, and different values for these constants can result in different solutions.

5. Are there any applications of FODEs in real life?

Yes, FODEs have many applications in real life. They are used in fields such as physics, chemistry, biology, economics, and engineering to model various systems and phenomena. For example, they are used to model population growth, heat transfer, chemical reactions, and motion of objects.