Yet another "Guide me " thread.

• Thread starter Alquimista91
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thread
In summary, the individual is a recent graduate who is considering a Master's program in Theoretical Physics. They have been admitted to both Glasgow and Edinburgh University, but are unsure which one to choose. Factors to consider include their age, financial status, and personal drive and experience in the field. The individual also raises the importance of choosing a supervisor who is a good teacher and can provide a structured and stimulating learning experience. Contacting potential supervisors and researching their research interests is recommended.
Alquimista91
Greetings to all !

I am 23 years old and I have just graduated this summer with a 8.52/10 ( Greek system - Equivalent to First class according to wikipedia ) and out of fear of getting rusty through searching for a MSc program ( while taking a break after the intensive courses and the TOEFL iBT preparation ), I enrolled to a University in France which has disappointed me a lot.
I find the structure and the organization inadequate and the general mentality of the system lacking, at least in comparison with my Bachelor University.

In effort to find something more suitable to my interests , I sent my application to both Glasgow and Edinburgh University for their Theoretical Physics Master ( the scientific domain which interests me ) and I have been admitted to both.
Taking into consideration :
a) The age ( am I still young enough to rush for an academic career , starting a MSc at 24-next year ? )
b) The financial status : The family is wealthy enough to either fund a 1 year course and its (high) tuition fees in the U.K OR fund a two year course in Europe ( where , under Bologna the tuition fees are cheaper ).
c) The person : Strong drive from high-school years , participation in seminars, focusing bachelor studies in theoretical physics ( Cosmology and Gravitation-Ta Pei Cheng , Particle Physics - Griffiths,Cottingham , Complex Calculus, etc )

Which master's course would you advice me to choose ( from the aforementioned ) or apply to ( please provided reasons why the aforementioned are considered inadquate).Thank you very much and forgive me for the long post.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you looked at what research is availabke and contacted a potential supervisor from each university? I think who your superviser is and what research they do (and how it fits into your expectations) should be a primary factor.

Shouldnt the primary factor be the teaching structure, methods, organization etc ? Since the masters I am looking at are taught courses, supposed to provide me with knowledge useful for my Phd , what I think that is of importance is the will of the professors to teach in an explanatory,well structured way (using particular books as guidelines, solving exercises and stimulating students to try for more. My point is that good researcher can be a terrible professor, and although the former might be useful for when they are someone's co-worker, the latter is terrible when the time to teach,explain and stimulate comes.

1. What is the purpose of "Yet another "Guide me" thread?"

The purpose of "Yet another "Guide me" thread" is to provide a platform for individuals to seek guidance and advice from others on a particular topic or issue.

2. How does "Yet another "Guide me" thread" differ from other threads?

"Yet another "Guide me" thread" differs from other threads in that it specifically focuses on providing guidance and advice to individuals, rather than discussing a general topic or sharing personal experiences.

3. Who can participate in "Yet another "Guide me" thread"?

Anyone can participate in "Yet another "Guide me" thread" by offering their knowledge, experience, and advice to those seeking guidance. However, it is important to provide respectful and helpful responses.

4. How can I make the most out of "Yet another "Guide me" thread"?

To make the most out of "Yet another "Guide me" thread," be specific and detailed in your request for guidance. This will help others understand your situation better and offer more relevant advice. Additionally, actively engage with the responses and ask follow-up questions if needed.

5. Are there any rules or guidelines for "Yet another "Guide me" thread"?

While there are no specific rules, it is important to be respectful, considerate, and avoid giving unsolicited or unhelpful advice. Remember that everyone has their own unique experiences and perspectives, so be open-minded and respectful of others' opinions.