1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Yet another induction proof

1. Dec 31, 2006 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    show with mathematical induction that prod(k=1->n) (1+1/n)^n=(n+1)^n/n!
    n element Natural numbers

3. The attempt at a solution

works for n=1,
    [tex]\prod_{k=1}^{n+1}\left(1+\frac{1}{k+1}\right)^{k+1}[/tex] should become [tex]\frac{(n+2)^{n+1}}{(n+1)!}[/tex]
    [tex]= (1+(n+1)^{-1})*((1+(n+1)^{-1})^n)*\frac{(n+1)^n}{n!}[/tex]
    [tex]=\frac{(n+1)^n}{n!})*(1+(n+1)^{-1})(1+(n+1)^{-n})[/tex]
    [tex]=\frac{(n+1)^n}{n!}*(1+(n+1)^n+(n+1)^{-1}+(n+1)^{-n+1}[/tex]
    [tex]=\frac{(n+1)^n}{n!}+\frac{1}{n!}+\frac{(n+1)^n}{(n+1)!}+\frac{(n+1)^n}{(n+1)^{n+1})n!}[/tex]
    [tex]=\frac{(n+1)^{n+1}+(n+1)+(n+1)^n+1)}{(n+1)!}[/tex]

only i can't find any way to get to (n+2)^(n+1)/(n+1)! from there :(
    can anyone help?
    thanks in advance :)

ps. Happy New Year to those it applies to:)

Last edited: Jan 1, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 31, 2006 #2

radou

Homework Helper

I might be missing something, but did you perhaps mean
    [tex]\prod_{k=1}^n \left(1+\frac{1}{k}\right)^k = \frac{(n+1)^n}{n!}[/tex]
    ?

4. Dec 31, 2006 #3

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think you'd better take time out to learn latex if you're going to post things like that.

Anyway, you'd better get your n's and k's sorted out. I can't see any immediate interpretation of what yo'uve written that might be true.

5. Dec 31, 2006 #4
    yeah.. that'd be it.. i tried editing the original a bit to make it more clear what exactly i've tried.. hope i didn't include any errors

Last edited: Dec 31, 2006
  6. Dec 31, 2006 #5

radou

Homework Helper

Ok, as you have seen, it holds for n = 1. Next, assume it holds for some n = j. You have to proove it holds for n = j + 1 in order to conclude it holds for every natural number. Now, write down what it looks like when n = j and when n = j + 1. The rest is easy.

7. Dec 31, 2006 #6

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's easier to do without induction (just simplify the product), if you're allowed to. Doesn't sound like it.

8. Dec 31, 2006 #7
    @radou: i know it's supposed to be easy, but the answer still eludes me
    @matt: i'm not :)

9. Dec 31, 2006 #8

radou

Homework Helper

Well, you have
    [tex]\prod_{k=1}^{j+1}\left(1+\frac{1}{k}\right)^k = \prod_{k=1}^j \left(1+\frac{1}{k}\right)^k \cdot \left(1+\frac{1}{j+1}\right)^{j+1}[/tex].
    That should illustrate the point, I hope.

10. Jan 1, 2007 #9
    well, sure.. but, in my (granted, rather limited) experience with these things you then substitute the righthand side of part one with the product bit, and multiply that out, which should yield the n+1 RH part of the equation.. which is what i believe i tried to do in my try as shown above.. which is where i get stuck.

11. Jan 1, 2007 #10

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Then try again. That is all you need to do: mutliply out

[tex] \frac{(j+1)^{j}}{j!} \left(1 +\frac{1}{j+1}\right)^{j+1}[/tex]

12. Jan 1, 2007 #11
    yes, but can you tell me if something has gone wrong in what i did in the OP? because it doesn't seem to add up to anything like the wanted result :S

13. Jan 1, 2007 #12

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I cannot even decipher the original post - there is too much going on and things seem to vanish between lines, then reappear, like the factorial.

What is another way to write 1+ 1/(j+1)? It really is a one line simplification of the expression in my last post. If your original line of attack doesn't work try a different one.

14. Jan 1, 2007 #13
    ah, yes.. i seem to have become somewhat obtuse after two years of not doing any maths :(

thanks for your patience :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?