Proving (1+1/n)^n=(n+1)^n/n! with Induction | Natural Numbers

In summary, the mathematician has attempted to solve the homework statement for prod(k=1->n) (1+1/n)^n=(n+1)^n/n!, but is having difficulty understanding what he has written. He has written that prod(k=1->n) (1+1/n)^n=(n+1)^n/n! is equivalent to prod(k=1->n) (1+1/n)^n=(n+1)^n/(n+1), which should illustrate the point.
Boombaard

Homework Statement

show with mathematical induction that prod(k=1->n) (1+1/n)^n=(n+1)^n/n!
n element Natural numbers

The Attempt at a Solution

works for n=1,
[tex]\prod_{k=1}^{n+1}\left(1+\frac{1}{k+1}\right)^{k+1}[/tex] should become [tex]\frac{(n+2)^{n+1}}{(n+1)!}[/tex]
[tex]= (1+(n+1)^{-1})*((1+(n+1)^{-1})^n)*\frac{(n+1)^n}{n!}[/tex]
[tex]=\frac{(n+1)^n}{n!})*(1+(n+1)^{-1})(1+(n+1)^{-n})[/tex]
[tex]=\frac{(n+1)^n}{n!}*(1+(n+1)^n+(n+1)^{-1}+(n+1)^{-n+1}[/tex]
[tex]=\frac{(n+1)^n}{n!}+\frac{1}{n!}+\frac{(n+1)^n}{(n+1)!}+\frac{(n+1)^n}{(n+1)^{n+1})n!}[/tex]
[tex]=\frac{(n+1)^{n+1}+(n+1)+(n+1)^n+1)}{(n+1)!}[/tex]

only i can't find any way to get to (n+2)^(n+1)/(n+1)! from there :(
can anyone help?
thanks in advance :)ps. Happy New Year to those it applies to:)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I might be missing something, but did you perhaps mean
[tex]\prod_{k=1}^n \left(1+\frac{1}{k}\right)^k = \frac{(n+1)^n}{n!}[/tex]
?

I think you'd better take time out to learn latex if you're going to post things like that.

Anyway, you'd better get your n's and k's sorted out. I can't see any immediate interpretation of what yo'uve written that might be true.

radou said:
I might be missing something, but did you perhaps mean
[tex]\prod_{k=1}^n \left(1+\frac{1}{k}\right)^k = \frac{(n+1)^n}{n!}[/tex]
?

yeah.. that'd be it.. i tried editing the original a bit to make it more clear what exactly I've tried.. hope i didn't include any errors

Last edited:
Boombaard said:
yeah.. that'd be it

Ok, as you have seen, it holds for n = 1. Next, assume it holds for some n = j. You have to proove it holds for n = j + 1 in order to conclude it holds for every natural number. Now, write down what it looks like when n = j and when n = j + 1. The rest is easy.

It's easier to do without induction (just simplify the product), if you're allowed to. Doesn't sound like it.

@radou: i know it's supposed to be easy, but the answer still eludes me
@matt: I'm not :)

Boombaard said:
@radou: i know it's supposed to be easy, but the answer still eludes me

Well, you have
[tex]\prod_{k=1}^{j+1}\left(1+\frac{1}{k}\right)^k = \prod_{k=1}^j \left(1+\frac{1}{k}\right)^k \cdot \left(1+\frac{1}{j+1}\right)^{j+1}[/tex].
That should illustrate the point, I hope.

radou said:
Well, you have
[tex]\prod_{k=1}^{j+1}\left(1+\frac{1}{k}\right)^k = \prod_{k=1}^j \left(1+\frac{1}{k}\right)^k \cdot \left(1+\frac{1}{j+1}\right)^{j+1}[/tex].
That should illustrate the point, I hope.

well, sure.. but, in my (granted, rather limited) experience with these things you then substitute the righthand side of part one with the product bit, and multiply that out, which should yield the n+1 RH part of the equation.. which is what i believe i tried to do in my try as shown above.. which is where i get stuck.

Then try again. That is all you need to do: mutliply out

[tex] \frac{(j+1)^{j}}{j!} \left(1 +\frac{1}{j+1}\right)^{j+1}[/tex]

Last edited:
matt grime said:
Then try again. That is all you need to do: mutliply out

[tex] \frac{(j+1)^{j}}{j!} \left(1 +\frac{1}{j+1}\right)^{j+1}[/tex]

yes, but can you tell me if something has gone wrong in what i did in the OP? because it doesn't seem to add up to anything like the wanted result :S

Last edited:
I cannot even decipher the original post - there is too much going on and things seem to vanish between lines, then reappear, like the factorial.

What is another way to write 1+ 1/(j+1)? It really is a one line simplification of the expression in my last post. If your original line of attack doesn't work try a different one.

ah, yes.. i seem to have become somewhat obtuse after two years of not doing any maths :(

thanks for your patience :)

1. What is induction and how does it apply to this proof?

Induction is a mathematical proof technique used to prove that a statement is true for all natural numbers. In this proof, we use mathematical induction to show that the equation (1+1/n)^n = (n+1)^n/n! is true for all natural numbers.

2. How do you start the induction proof for this equation?

We start by showing that the equation is true for the base case, which is when n = 1. In this case, (1+1/1)^1 = (1+1)^1/1! = 2/1 = 2, so the equation holds for n = 1.

3. What is the inductive hypothesis for this proof?

The inductive hypothesis is the assumption that the equation is true for some arbitrary but fixed natural number k. In other words, we assume that (1+1/k)^k = (k+1)^k/k! is true.

4. How do you prove the inductive step in this proof?

To prove the inductive step, we need to show that if the equation is true for k, then it is also true for k+1. This involves substituting k+1 in place of n in the equation (1+1/n)^n = (n+1)^n/n! and showing that it still holds true.

5. Why is it important to prove the base case and inductive step in this proof?

Proving the base case and inductive step is important because it allows us to show that the equation is true for all natural numbers, not just a specific value. The base case establishes the truth of the equation for the smallest natural number, while the inductive step allows us to extend this truth to all subsequent natural numbers.