Solving Limit of \frac{(n+4)^{100} - (n+3)^{100}}{(n+2)^{100} - n^{100}}

• Thread starter twoflower
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the given expression can be written as: \frac{100n^{99} + P(n)}{200n^{99} + Q(n)}where P and Q are polynomials of degree 98, and can be simplified by dividing by n^{99} and taking the limit. The binomial theorem can be used to expand the brackets and write the expression in this form.
twoflower
Hi all, I can't find limit of this one:

[tex]
\lim \frac{(n + 4)^{100} - (n + 3)^{100}}{(n + 2)^{100} - n^{100}}
[/tex]

I only got it to this point after I divided all expressions with n^100:

[tex]
\lim \frac{ \left( 1 + \frac{4}{n} \right) ^{100} - \left( 1 + \frac{3}{n} \right) ^{100}}{ \left( 1 + \frac{2}{n} \right) ^{100} - 1}
[/tex]

I only can see that every expression goes to 1 in infinity, but I can't figure the limit out of this, anyway...

Thank you for any suggestions. I would like to ask as well, what to do in cases like this - when I get [itex]\frac{0}{0}[/itex] or [itex]\frac{\infty}{\infty}[/itex] (and without l'Hospital).

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
we can expand each bracket and write the quantity as:

[tex]\frac{100n^{99} + P(n)}{200n^{99} + Q(n)}[/tex]

where P and Q are polynomials of degree 98. Divide by n^{99} top and bottom and take the limit.

Thank you matt, but could you please show me the way you got the expression you posted? I can't see how to expand the brackets...Thank you much.

Actually, that was the first I tried, but I didn't see the possibility to write the sums as a sum of two polynoms, one of which will go to zero when divided with n^99. Now I have it. Thank you for your time matt.

1. What is the purpose of solving limits in mathematics?

The purpose of solving limits is to determine the behavior of a function as the input approaches a certain value. This is important in understanding the overall behavior and characteristics of a function, as well as being able to make predictions and solve real-world problems.

2. How do you approach solving a limit?

There are various methods for solving limits, but the most common approach is to first try direct substitution by plugging in the given value for the input. If this results in an undefined expression, then other techniques such as factoring, rationalizing, or using L'Hopital's rule may be used.

3. What is L'Hopital's rule and when is it used?

L'Hopital's rule is a mathematical technique used to evaluate limits of indeterminate forms, such as 0/0 or ∞/∞. It states that the limit of a quotient of two functions is equal to the limit of their derivatives, provided that the limit of the derivative exists and is not equal to 0. It is typically used when other methods for solving limits fail.

4. Can limits be solved algebraically?

Yes, limits can be solved algebraically using techniques such as factoring, rationalizing, or using identities. However, in some cases, it may be more efficient to use numerical methods or graphing software to approximate the value of the limit.

5. What is the significance of the limit in the given expression?

The limit in the given expression represents the overall behavior of the function as the input approaches a certain value. In this case, it shows the growth rate of the function as n becomes infinitely large. It is often used in calculus and other areas of mathematics to describe and analyze the behavior of functions.