1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Yet another limit

1. Nov 13, 2004 #1
    Hi all, I can't find limit of this one:

[tex]
    \lim \frac{(n + 4)^{100} - (n + 3)^{100}}{(n + 2)^{100} - n^{100}}
    [/tex]

I only got it to this point after I divided all expressions with n^100:

[tex]
    \lim \frac{ \left( 1 + \frac{4}{n} \right) ^{100} - \left( 1 + \frac{3}{n} \right) ^{100}}{ \left( 1 + \frac{2}{n} \right) ^{100} - 1}
    [/tex]

I only can see that every expression goes to 1 in infinity, but I can't figure the limit out of this, anyway...

Thank you for any suggestions. I would like to ask as well, what to do in cases like this - when I get [itex]\frac{0}{0}[/itex] or [itex]\frac{\infty}{\infty}[/itex] (and without l'Hospital).

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2004 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

we can expand each bracket and write the quantity as:

[tex]\frac{100n^{99} + P(n)}{200n^{99} + Q(n)}[/tex]

where P and Q are polynomials of degree 98. Divide by n^{99} top and bottom and take the limit.

4. Nov 13, 2004 #3
    Thank you matt, but could you please show me the way you got the expression you posted? I can't see how to expand the brackets...Thank you much.

5. Nov 13, 2004 #4

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

6. Nov 13, 2004 #5
    Actually, that was the first I tried, but I didn't see the possibility to write the sums as a sum of two polynoms, one of which will go to zero when divided with n^99. Now I have it. Thank you for your time matt.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?